A "Pheasant" Surprise

[A bit of "bird"play there for ya.
(Get it? Wordplay/Birdplay? Ah, whatever.)]

When you finally made your way into the dorm building, the class was buzzing to see your room. You gave them the unfortunate news that you hadn't had time to decorate or anything yet as they followed behind you, before opening your door to a real shocker.

"Wha—?!"
You turn to them in exasperation.
"I swear down I didn't do this."
They seem pretty shocked too, until Asui Tsuyu points out something.

"What's that on your bed, Xio-chan?"
You had allowed those who were particularly welcoming to you to call you by your first name, or a nickname; Xiomara, or Xio.

Following "Tsu"'s gaze (her nickname), you spot something that makes your face crack into a smile.

A crimson feather.

You walk over to it and pick it up, smiling still.
"I guess a little birdie decided to help me out."
You seem to remember something, and begin scanning the walls before scoffing, walking over to a framed photograph and shaking your head — smiling.

It was a picture of yourself and Hawks having a picnic.

[Flashback]

"I'm gonna print this, frame it and sign it and it'll be your birthday present." He smiles at his phone, having just taken a selfie of the two of you seconds earlier.
"What?!"
"What? You heard me."
"That is so arrogant." You scoffed.
"You know you love me!" He protested.
"Birdbrain."
"Sodium stearate."
"I told you my Quirk doesn't use soap. And using the chemical formula for soap isn't impressive. Nobody else gets it, so you just sound dumb — also, I told you that!"
"Yeah whatever, soap bar."
"Cannibal."
"Hey!!"

That day, it never crossed your mind that he was actually serious, but 1: You should have known. And 2: You're glad he was.

A voice takes you out of your trance. The little fanboy himself steps forward in awe, looking from the feather in your hand to the picture on the wall.

"That's Hawks! The No. 3 Hero!!" Izuku turns to you.
"Are you two... friends?!" He seems ecstatic, and you can't help but smile at him as the rest of your classmates file into your room to look at the picture and poke around.

"Yeah, you could say that. He's such a dumbass." You say fondly.

Of course, you knew of Izuku's situation and Quirk, but couldn't tell him. Toshinori made you promise not to. But it did make you feel like you were two of a kind; taken in by Heroes, and closer to those the world looked up to than any other could be. It made you feel connected to him, in a strange sort of way, and you admired how hard he fought to get where he was.

"Meanwhile," you think to yourself with a twinge of guilt, "Here I am in the same situation having worked not nearly as hard, and not even wanting the end result."

"Of course they're friends, idiot. Are you that thick?"
Oh, for fucks' sake.

"Who said you could come in?"
"Did you say this lot could?" Bakugou asks impatiently, jabbing his thumb to the small group who had wondered in behind you.
"Yeah. Do you see me kicking them out?"
He rolls his eyes.
"Whatever. I just wanted to look."

He saunters in. You sigh.
"Be quick."
"Yeah, yeah." He replies, almost absent-minded as he looks around, seeming mildly impressed.
"You've got taste. I'll give you that."

Technically Hawks has good taste since he did this.
But—

"Great!" You say, voice dripping with sarcasm.
"You can go now, then, off you pop."

"Tch." He turns on his heel.

"You know," Izuku starts, chuckling nervously, "I never thought anybody would speak up to Kaachan like that until I came here. I guess everyone in highschool is just that much more confident, huh?" He smiles shakily.

Kirishima steps in and pats his shoulder consolingly.
"I'm sure deep down he appreciates your friendship, Midoriya. You guys were childhood friends, how couldn't he??"
The red-haired boy's words of encouragement seem to fall on deaf ears. It's evident that rather than deep-set affection for Izuku, Bakugou has stubborn resentment.

Well, that's something you two had in common. He resented Izuku, and you resented him.

Prick.

As the days of your first week in Yuuei dragged on, you became (very) quickly more comfortable with your peers, and began giving out daily hugs. Heck, they even lined up for them. To be fair, you were pretty damn good at them.

Note: The next section is quite long. Brace yourselves

...and Xiomara gets ✨ ahead of herself ✨ upon meeting someone she has come to admire quite recently, thanks to Shōta. Yeesh.