4. Is It Hot in Here Or Is It You?

[Dylan's POV]

During my free time I like to spend it at the library. Reading and volunteering is my favourite thing. Over the weekend, the library does reading buddies, Aaron happens to be mine. When we first met he was pretty shy, we spent most of the time getting to know each other.

Aaron happens to be bi-lingual, speaking Spanish and English. He's speaks more Spanish and when the library found out I was the only volunteer who spoke Spanish it was a no-brainer to place him with me. I had a Spanish speaking nanny growing up, then took Spanish in high school. I'm not completely fluent but Aaron corrects me if I mess up. Now we are extremely close and he's gotten a lot better when reading than when we started.

"Hey kid!" I greeted him and lowered myself to give him a hug. He lets go of his moms hand and runs towards me from the entrance of the library. He hugs me and doesn't let go. I pick him up and greet his mom.

"So I'll just be over there," she says and points to the study room. The thing I like about this library is the fact that they take young parents into consideration. They open study rooms and groups during reading buddies and reading time with the children. I find it very neat and thoughtful. We headed to the tables and kid section of the library.

"Muy bien, ¿que libró vamos a leer hoy?" I ask as we look through the book shelves he starts to pick books from the book shelves, I lightly chuckle as he hands me them. I'm not quite sure he cares what they're about but what the cover looks like. "How about this one?" I ask, holding up "Jack and the Beanstalk" he looks at me offended and shakes his head vigorously. "No? Ok then." I put the book back and we continue looking. [Translation: Alright, what books are we reading today?]

After we are done, we end up with six books. I convince him to put five books back, we sit down on a table and start reading. I would start with a book he wanted me to read, then he would read a book. After I finished reading "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!". He started reading "Splat the Cat", reading was slow but I got patience for him.

He's only six and Spanish is his first language. He learned English in school and his mom still teaches it to him. She tells me that she didn't want to overbear him with two languages so she started with Spanish since it was her first language as well.

I fixed his pronunciation without letting him skip any words. He struggles a little and gets frustrated, I reassure him he's doing fine and we keep going. We take a break from reading and Aaron goes to play with another kid.

 We take a break from reading and Aaron goes to play with another kid

Things are going well with Astrid. We met on a fucking beach and I'm already falling. But that's what I do. And that scares me. I always get too attached and end up doing the wrong thing. I'm so scared but I like her a lot. I'm just afraid to actually do more. Which is why she's taking me out.

Something tells me she wanted to talk more and so did I but Aaron came back wanting to read more. We read "The Bad Seed" together taking turns on each page. I decided to put my impressions to work. I make a silly deep voice when reading my parts, Aaron laughs at me and does his own voice.