28. So Much Better

[Astrid's POV]

I can't blame Dylan for last night, but I miss her. I haven't felt her touch in so long and feel empty without it. It's almost Christmas and I want her to move in with me before then. Right now, I want to see, hear, smell, and touch her again. I love her and need her.

It has to wait once again because I have work. I walk to the girl's room, in my tank top and Christmas pajama pants. I wake Anyiah first, shaking her lightly and kissing their forehead. "Anyiah, wake up babe, time for school."

She groans sleepily in response. "Get up, babe."

I walk over to June next, shaking her gently and kissing her forehead. "Too early," she whispers. She is correct, this is too early for 5-year-olds. School for kids this young should start at 10, giving them time to sleep till 8 or 9. Helping them get their full hours but instead, they wake up at 7 to start school at 8:55.

Eventually but slowly, the girls get up with attitude. I help them get dressed in cute Hello Kitty shirts. Aniyah wearing jeans and June wearing leggings. They walk to get ready in the bathroom while I prepare some Eggo waffles. I make a strawberry banana smoothie for me. There are supposed to be pastries in the teacher's lounge during the break, so I'll go over there for something better. The girls come out running and ready to eat. "Can I have some of that too?"

"Yeah, me too," June says and I begin to pour the smoothie for them as well.

"You always copy me," Aniyah says crossing her arms.

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you don't," they both start laughing after that. I don't know why.

After eating, I make sure the girls grab their bags then we all head to the car. We sing along to the radio as I drive to the school. "Mommy, I miss Dylan."

"Yeah me too babe."

"Is she gonna come and see us?" June asks.

"Yeah, I'll call her and see if she can, okay?" I assure her. Dylan hasn't had the time to see us lately. We are both so busy but the time apart is hurting my heart. Ever since she's been sleeping in my bed, I miss it.

I've gotten so used to sleeping alone, that I didn't realize how good it felt to lay close to someone. I miss that feeling.

So do the girls. They miss her and the way they play games together. The girls adore her and I'm happy they do.

A little while later, I entered my classroom, the girls with me. They go and play with the sensory toys I have while I get ready for the day at my desk. I plan on having an easier and more relaxing day. We will do a little math and literature then we'll watch a movie.

I'm feeling a little lazy today.

When the gate finally opened, the girls left for their class after giving me hugs and kisses. "Have a good day!"

"Bye, mama!" They say synchronized as they walk out of the class. I wait for the next bell to ring and for my students to line up outside my class. When they do, I open the door letting them all in. Some with mad faces, while others are happy.

I take a deep breath after the last student enters. Collecting myself and putting on a smile, I enter the classroom. "Alright, guys! Let's pull out our iPads and sign in while we wait for the morning announcements."

Not too long after my instructions the announcements begin to play. They explain upcoming events and the lunch menu. I tell the kids to look for the reading and writing assignment, which is writing sight words while saying them out loud. A few kids come up to ask a few questions before transitioning into math.