9. Happy Birthday, by the Way

[Astrid's POV]

I wake up to tiny hands shaking me. "MAMA WAKE UP!!" I heard Aniyah's voice shout.

I wake up to see my girls towering over me. Today is my birthday, April 4. I've always been woken up by my girls ever since they could walk and talk. I would tell them the next day is my birthday and when they would wake, they would come into my room and sing.

After I awoken they sang to me. I smiled and attacked them with tickles as they sang. I got up and made breakfast soon after. I made a West African dish called togbei or puff puff for me and the girls along with eggs and bacon. We sat down and ate.

Today I'm subbing for a class. I'm a little nervous and not because I haven't subbed before but because it's for a troubled school. I'm subbing for 4th graders, I don't know much but hopefully, all goes well.

We had a short breakfast before I told the girls to go and get ready. They fought me about the shower so I let them skip. I made them brush their teeth while I set their uniforms for them. I went to get dressed wearing a simple long-sleeved white blouse and jeans. We started to head out the door when we were finished.

"I don't wanna go!" June shouts as we walk down the stairs. She stays at the top and stomps her feet.

"June we can't do this! Come on," I say sweetly but sternly.

"No! I don't wanna go to school!" She demands and I roll my eyes. She doesn't do this often but when she does it's hard to tell how long she'll last.

"Go get in the car, and take this," I tell Aniyah and hand her my bag. I unlock the car and she gets in after placing my bag in the passenger side.

I walk up the stairs and take June's hand, I guide her down and she lets out a scream. She takes her other hand and grabs onto the railing. "June!"

"I don't wanna go!"

"You don't have a choice this time. Mama has work, there's no one to watch you. You will be with your sister. Come." I say but nothing she doesn't listen, she stays at the edge of the stairs not letting go.

"No!" She says as she gets out of my grip and crosses her arms. I do the only thing I can do, the mom stare.

I look her dead in the eyes not breaking eye contact, my face tells her everything she needs to know. The "Get your butt in the car or else" look does the job. She grabs her backpack from off the floor and runs down the stairs.

Of course, there is no "or else" it's the mystery that gets them. They have no idea what happens if they don't listen after the look. And I don't either. I follow after and get in the car. I watch as she buckles and cries. I give her a sad look through the rearview mirror and turn on the car. When we finally arrive and get in the loop and drop the girls off.

"Bye, girls! Mama loves you!" I say as they get out.

"Bye-bye!" I hear Aniyah say but nothing from June.

I drive off and head to work. It was about 30 minutes from the school and I tried my best to get there in time. Unfortunately, I was a few minutes late but I got there. I checked in and headed to class. I went through the halls and entered the classroom. The kids were waiting outside the classroom. I turned on the light and placed my stuff down. After I gathered myself I opened the door. Before I could speak, they went inside. Alright then. I walked in after everyone and sat in my seat.

"Hello, class! My name is Ms. Obi but you can be Ms.O if you'd like. I'll be your sub today," I say as the class listens.

"Where's Mr. C?" A boy student asks.