24. That Was Scary!

Today Astrid and I are at Spirit Halloween with the girls. It's been almost three months in medical school and it's been going well. It seems everyone already knows who I am based on the jealous looks I get. Of course, I'm not going to let it get to my head.

"Dylan, push that one." Aniyah points to a pumpkin animatronic. I step on the button and it says something before popping up. I'm not the type to be scared so it didn't phase me, however, it did scare the rest. I laughed when they jumped. "Don't laugh at me!"

"Sorry, I won't do it again," I say throwing my hands up in defense. She crosses her arms and huffs walking. She ends up finding the costumes.

"Mommy can I be Bluey?!" She shouts and points to the Bluey costume.

"That's what you want? How much? Let me see," she says and looks at the price. It was 30 dollars. "No I'm sorry baby, maybe I can make one."

"Aww, but I wanna real Bluey," Aniyah says and whines.

"Can I be Bingo?" June says holding the Bingo costume.

"No babe, they're just too much," she says and I hear guiltness in her voice.

"I can pay," I suggest and Astrid looks at me.

"No, I'm not gonna let you do that. It's fine they can pick something else. Maybe somewhere cheaper."

"No, it's okay. I was thinking about going as a Zombie," I say to the girls and claw my hands at them. They laugh and thank me.

We walk to the adult-fitting costumes and I find what I'm looking for. Astrid says she makes her own. We go to the check and I buy the costumes. "Now, you guys are not changing your minds because Dylan spent her money on you."

"Yes Mommy, we won't," they say getting into the car and admiring their costumes. We get into the front and drive off. We are now going to Astrid's apartment. Astrid takes the girls' trunk-or-treating at her mom's church then on Halloween, she goes to this haunted house with friends. She invited me to both which I accepted.

I'll be going as a Zombie with the kids and dressed as something else for the haunted house. Astrid says we have to dress for it and that she making us matching costumes without telling me what it is. Entering the house, the girls immediately opened their costumes.

"Look, I'm Bluey," Aniyah says, pointing to herself and giggling. The Bluey costumes or similar to onesies with the character's faces as hats. June had her Bingo costume on and they both looked really cute. "Now we are doggy sisters!"

We laugh at them as they recreate scenes from Bluey and giggle about. "How do you feel about Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy?" Astrid asks. "You as Ivy and me as Harley."

"Yeah! That sounds fun! And you're making that?" I ask.

"Yeah, I bought these leaves and glued them onto the suit you gave me. The pants are just black suit pants with some leaves as well. We can give you some green lipstick and some green blush, maybe spray your hair red." She goes on and smiles the whole time, all I can imagine is how sexy she's gonna look as Harley Quinn.

She says the suits are drying and that I can't see them. We chill for a little while and I do some assignments before leaving. Astrid takes the girls to shower while I wait on the couch doing my makeup. It takes them about an hour to be completely done. All I did to my face was add fake scar tattoos and black face paint around the eyes. I wore a ripped-up shirt and jeans. Astrid was a vampire with sharp teeth and blood dripping from her lip.

We left the house and into the car. It was only a 15-minute drive and I helped Aniyah get out. She held my hand and we walked around to meet the rest. We all walked towards the back of the church. Astrid greeted her mom. I watched as she gave her a hug the girls followed. She ended up getting a hug from me as well. "Babe, I'm sorry to say this but we're friends."