27. Together is...

It's about two weeks before Christmas and I haven't seen Astrid since Black Friday. We've just been so busy with school and work, that it's hard to have time. We Face Time and message each other daily but not physical contact. It's starting to hurt. I need my girlfriend and I miss her kids.

The school hasn't been the best either. The overworking and stress have taken a toll on me. I knew medical school was challenging but not this much-some points I do enjoy, like the labs and mock exams.

Today I'm heading to Stanford for school. I have a class to complete bright and early. So after retrieving my coffee and other necessities, I got through the door. My professors are all middle-aged women, who are not that bad.

One thing I noticed is Caleb, the mute kid from college. I never realized he was wanting to become a doctor. It confuses me because you have to talk. I wonder if he's not even mute, just doesn't talk much.

(A/N: I'm so fucking stupid, I didn't even realize I made Astrid's ex has the same name 🤦🏾‍♀ mb)

I take the necessary notes in class which is a lot. The class fills with keys clacking as the teacher talks. We go over terminology, specifically neurology. Writing terms and meanings of abbreviations. I took a class in high school called Medical Terminology, so this is simple and I already know most definitions.

I actually took lots of classes regarding medicine. Health class in middle school and I also was a special needs buddy/helper for experience and exposure. In high school, I took classes like child development, Medical terminology, and a medical assistance program enabling me to get a certificate and work as one during the summer.

I've always had a passion for becoming a doctor, specifically a pediatrician. I guess I've always liked the fact of helping people and saving lives one at a time. I'm not sure where I'd like to work though, hospital or office. I'm glad we can work on both before making the final decision. But I think I'm already leaning towards the office since I won't be close to children dying, that breaks my heart.

Growing up I always had a soft spot for children, hence the want to become a pediatrician. I took care of my young cousins and of my siblings. I was a babysitter for many families as well, a job I loved.

The class lasts from 6 to 9 after I head back to my car after resting my brain in the cafe. No coffee, just banana bread, and water. I tried to give Astrid a call, but she's working so no answer. I hate to be stuck at home all day.

Maybe I'll go see the kids.

------------------------
[Astrid's POV]

"Alright class, please pull out your iPads and go to the Google Classroom."

"We need a code!" An impatient child screams only five minutes after instruction.

"I know, I know, hold on," I write the code
on the board. All eyes look up and down as they type it in. "Okay, please click the one that says 'Multiplication Test' "

"We're taking a test?!"

"No, it's just called that. It's an evaluation, to see how much you know."

"We are in third grade how much are we supposed to know?"

"Not much, but they want us to. Just take your time, don't rush," I say, sitting in my seat. They all groan before starting and the class grows quiet. I grade past assignments and send out emails as they test. My phone buzzes and I look over to see Dylan's face and contact. I sigh into my seat as I watch the phone buzz and her face fade away. I miss her and really wanna see her.