11

Chapter 11

Ryland

Thursday 12:00pm

***

Lunch was a disaster. Jay and Sammy were fighting over what movie we were going to watch after school. And Darius and I were yet again in a squabble about grades. "It's not my fault I'm not in the top five percent anymore. That Lemons kid is putting in his all lately."

"Damn it, Dar. It doesn't matter what he does. It matters what you do." I told him, shaking my soda in my hand on accident.

"Whatever. We both know that kid gets in my way with grades. And yours with your mind traveling to his butt all the time. Look, here he comes now." Darius wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pointed to Tomlin Lemons who looked extra hot today in his black skinny jeans and blue t-shirt that said queen on the front.

I watched his ass until he was out of sight not even realizing I squeezed my soda hard enough to explode until all of us were soaking wet. A kid named John came out of nowhere and said something stupid.

I wasn't paying attention because he was throwing a sandwich at my head. I was surprised and so stunned I just laughed.

Sammy threw the sandwich back at the guy and one thing led to another and soon everyone was throwing food on the second level, senior cafeteria bench.

****

1:33pm

Jesus, I couldn't breathe. The principal was mad and for some reason he dragged Tomlin Lemons in here just to be a jerk. The guy hated Tomlin and made it his personal mission to berate him. I'm not exactly sure everything that was said because the entire time I was gritting my teeth and counting so I didn't take the principal's face off.

It wasn't until I was in the hallway alone when I really wanted to die of embarrassment. "Hey, wait." I yelled at Tomlin. "Thanks for that, uh, Tomlin. It was really nice of you. I won't even make you help us clean the cafeteria."

"No problem. It's not everyday a guy stares after your butt long enough to make his soda explode."

Fuck. I choked on air. Gaging, choking, dying the whole bit. "Are you dying? Jesus, fuck, this day is full of drama." Tomlin, patted my back, hard, too hard.

"Thanks." I was finally done coughing. "I don't know what happened to me."

He chuckled at me. "Gay panic, sweets. It's okay. I understand. But ain't got the time for it right now. I have class. Tootles."

Tootles? The small stupid word made me blush because it was so cute. He sauntered away and all I could think was damn I want to get to know him. Darius and Jay landed a hard arm on both of my shoulders.

"You like him. He made you nervous enough to choke on nothing, idiot." Sammy teased stepping in front of me. I grabbed him back into my chest because he was blocking my view of Tomlin's perfect ass.

"Don't be jealous, Mouse. I still love you."

He swatted my hands away. "Whatever, man. I don't need you. I've got a girl anyway."

I laughed. He'd been telling all of us for a while now that there was a girl. Maybe there was, but we all had yet to meet her. Darius and Jay grabbed Sammy and brought him back into their chests, pushing me away.

"You can join us, Sammy. We don't mind company."

And all of that reminded me of mine and Sammy's shared time and I had to look away.

Sammy groaned. "How many times do I have to tell you? I wish I knew if I was gay it would make this easier." He crossed his arms on his chest and used his body to wiggle away from them. The bell rang and we all dispersed.

He was definitely lying. I knew and I was willing to bet at least Darius did too from the smirk he was giving Sammy from behind his back. I kind of think Sammy is just having fun.