Chapter 46

A little over a day later, Hiccup and Zyrah finally caught up with the Riders and the villagers at the Edge.

Needless to say, Zyrah was outright stunned at the sight. It was incredible! There were about five houses, and she could easily identify who they once belonged to. The main meeting house had a massive deck and a small training arena! Everything was connected via bridges and decks down to the docks.

Despite being abandoned for only a couple of years, all the buildings seemed in great condition, just slightly weathered down by the elements. But that could be easily repaired and upgraded.

When Hiccup and Zyrah landed on the massive deck at the stables, Astrid, Fishlegs, Konall, and Ana greeted them.

"We've given them the go-ahead to build housing for the others," Astrid informed them after giving Hiccup a smooch on the cheek.

"That's great! Guess we only need to wait on word back from Mala, Dagur, Atali, and Alvin?"

"Pretty much. But we can start our planning now. The dragons are getting comfy and doing their thing. Though, we need to take precautions with Nightfire." Fishlegs pointed out. And he was right. Even though Hiccup was certain the baby Night Fury would be safe with her parents and the Rider's dragons, ensuring she was closely monitored would still be wise.

As the Riders and Berkians settled in and worked on their plans, the dragons began to reminisce about their time here. They had never admitted it to one another, but in the chaos of the past couple of years, they never found time to admit that they missed the Edge. It had opened a whole new world of exploration and time to bond with their Riders in a way they couldn't quite have on Berk.

Toothless led Blueheart and Nightfire to his and Hiccup's old house, showing them Hiccup's small workshop.

He was always busy with something, wasn't he? Blueheart commented.

He's always loved improving things. He had multiple variations of my tail in the Clubhouse. Never liked them very much, though. They were more for decoration than anything else.

For the next few days, Toothless and the other dragons showed Berk's dragons around, especially where it would be safest for the young and elderly in case the Edge was attacked.

And while Blueheart was happy to be here and help her mate, she still couldn't help but worry about her family and the colony miles away. If Grimmel was searching for them, he would look on any island near Berk. And although the colony's island was very far south, she knew that in the mind of someone like Grimmel, no distance would stop him from obtaining what he wanted.

One night, she found herself unable to sleep. Toothless was completely knocked out, rolled onto his back with his tongue lolling out, and one of his back feet twitching. It was such a goofy sight, but she adored him. And right by his side was Nightfire, also sound asleep. Her nose quivered slightly, but she barely stirred.

Giving Toothless a light lick on the cheek, Blueheart made her way outside, thankfully not waking Hiccup, Konall, or Zyrah.

Just a quick walk... She told herself.

She flew up into the forest that surrounded the Edge, catching sight of a few Night Terrors flying away. Toothless had informed her about the flock, including its leader, Smidvarg. She had caught sight of him the previous night, his white body a stark contrast to the rest of his flock.

As she walked, she came across what she guessed was an old training ground, with painted targets on tree trunks and a few small axes scattered about.

She leaned down to sniff, catching Astrid's scent on one, but it was faint. That said, unremarkable. There was another scent that was unfamiliar to her, but she had heard Astrid mention the visitors they would occasionally have.