Things Have Changed

CHAPTER TWELVE
── Things Have Changed !

                    HARLEY HAD NEVER attended a ball, she was always too busy looking after Max and her parents. Now she was going to Hawkins Middle as a chaperone for the Snow Ball. Don't get her wrong she was excited to see what a ball would actually be like but there was also other things she would rather spend her time doing than looking after a hall full of children.

     A lot has changed since November. After the Demodog attack, and Steve saving her and Max's life, she hoped things would be different in Hawkins and that she'd be able to live the teenager dream she had always wanted.

                                                           She spent more time with Matthew, helped him to actually start passing the lessons he was attending. She allowed Max to teach her how to skateboard, even if that meant Max laughed every time Harley fell off the Skateboard on one certain ramp. Mike even allowed her to help with the party's Dungeon and Dragons campaigns. Her friend group was doing so much better now that her and Steve were now friends. She was embracing her life and Harley could now say she was happy to be living in Hawkins.

                     Harley was now stood at the front of the school, tugging on the black dress her mum allowed her to wear. It was black, lace covered the chest area as the sleeves of the dress landed just underneath her shoulders. It hugged her figure beautifully, you could see every little curve on her body.

                                                The dress stopped on her thighs, and she was worried it would lift up if she sat down. "This is stupid," Harley crossed her arms with a huff, a look of annoyance plastered on her face as she stared at her sister and best friend. "At least it matches your hair" Nancy wiggled her finger in her best friends face, a smile glowing from her face.

                Nancy wasn't wrong, a week after the group saved Will from the Mind Flayer. Harley decided she wanted to dye her hair brown, ditch the pink look. Matthew had walked in on her and Nancy rushing around trying to remove the hair dye that was some how all over the Wheelers bathroom mirror.

"Are you sure this is going to be fun?" Harley turned to face Max who was staring at her sister in awe ── The coat of mascara, the black eyeliner, the way the glitter she had sprayed slightly over her face sparkles in the light reflecting from cars as they left the car park.

                              "You look nice," Max smiled brightly. "Thank you Max but when is Lucas getting here?" Harley questioned, twisting the bracelet she had on her wrist in a circle.

       "I don't know," Max looked into the hall as a group of kids walked in there. Harley's favourite song from Grease was blasting through the speakers; You're the one that I want.

                                                 Harley believed it was a musical masterpiece.

                    A fresh layer of snow had landed on their shoulders and goosebumps layered all over her arms that were exposed from the lack of material on the dress.

Harley pushed Max towards the doors as she followed closely behind her, Harley's green eyes scanned through the hall── Her eyes finally landing on Lucas. Harley had agreed on helping Lucas ask Max to dance.

     "Wait here," Harley turned to Max before making her way to Lucas, her heels clicking against the hardwood floor.

"You look good!" Harley smiled, straightening the boys tie. Her smile began to fall from the sad look that was spreading across his face. "What's wrong?" She questioned.

                                                      "What if she says no?" Lucas questioned, Harley had to refrain herself from laughing. Ever since the day that they set the hive mind on fire, Max wouldn't stop talking Harley's ear off about Lucas.

Harley scoffed, "Listen, she's not going to say no. I promise you she is going to say yes" Harley pushed Lucas towards where her sister was stood awkwardly.

Multiple colours flashes over her eyes as she made her way towards Nancy and Matthew who were stood in the corner. "Is El coming?" Nancy questioned, she had left Harley and Max so she could check if Mike was feeling okay.

"I think I seen her outside talking to Hopper, she's probably nervous" Harley informed the shorter girl with a smile.

                             Matthew laughed, "I'm sure she'll be fine. Mike has not shut up about seeing her all day" Harley's eyes squinted as she turned to the side. As a group of kids leave, just for a moment she spots a burgundy BMW through the doors. Windows rolled down as he spoke to Dustin with his one hand on the steering wheel the other one placed on Dustin's shoulder.

Their eyes meet as Dustin turns around and begins walking into the school, Steve lifts his hand and beckons her over.

"I'll be back, I promise" Harley turns back to the twins with a smile before she managed to escape past one of the many teachers on guard. Her heels clicked against the concrete as she made her way towards Steve's car.

She wrapped her arms around her chest, leaning her head down to be level with the boy. "Hi Steve," Harley said. "Guessing you did Dustin's hair?" She laughed slightly. Steve adjusted himself in his seat, "Yeah── You like it?"

Harley nodded with a smile. "Of course."

Steve's eyes glance over every little detail on Harley's face. He shook his head, looking away from her. "You look beautiful," Harley's lips pulled into a smile as she stared at the boy in front of her. "Wanna grab a bite to eat?" He questioned, unlocking the passenger door.

                                                        Harley jumped into his BMW. "Of course" She smiled, Things have obviously changed between the two teenagers who used to despise each other but I guess that's what happens when you have a near death experience with someone. It brung them closer, Harley would do anything for Steve now.

And he would do anything to protect Harley, whenever she had problems at home. Steve always invited Harley and Max over and Harley adored him for it.