Chapter 19

Sea whip

Kaida awoke with the feeling of revenge, anger, frustration and desire, but it did not come from her.

"What?" she asked aloud in confusion, she could still feel her wound, it was not fully healed, the Healer who was healing her had stopped. Kaida knew this feeling, she had noticed it once before and she narrowly ended up dead.

Before Kaida could process anything, she felt her throat close, she couldn't breathe. She looked to her side to see the Healer using his power as a Heartender on her, preventing her from breathing.

"What are you doing?" Kaida asked with difficulty.

"I'm sick of being weak," the boy said. The gray-eyed girl put her hand to her throat, desperate to breathe, but unable. She looked around praying that someone was watching what was going on but everyone else was too focused on healing wounds or being healed.

Kaida was getting weaker and weaker and craving for air so with the little strength she had she kicked him in the side causing him to break his concentration making her able to breathe.

The people around them turned around because of the roar and their surprise was great to see Kaida trying to get out of the door to go up on deck but her partner pulled her ankle and got on top of her and with his bare hands started to strangle her.

"I'm sick of being weak, if I kill you I'll have an amplifier. It's nothing personal," said the boy who was choking Kaida.

"Somebody do something!" someone said. The Healers rushed over.

"Flinch, what are you doing?" one of them asked worriedly. Kaida brought her hands to Flinch's trying with all her might to push them away, but was unable.

One of the Healers came out from below deck running towards Sturmhond who was talking to Alina, Mal and Jake.

"Elein. What's the rush?" Sturmhond asked with a smile.

"Captain, Flinch is trying to kill Kaida. He's choking her!" Elein said with stress covering her voice.

Everyone looked at the girl in amazement but the first to start moving was Sturmhond who drew his pistol.

"Flinch, stop! Don't do this!"

"Are you crazy?"

"He's lost his mind."

People were trying to separate him from Kaida, but it was impossible, he was determined to take her life. With every second that passed Kaida begged more and more inwardly for someone to please help her. Just as she began to lose consciousness a shot rang through the air. Flinch's body lost strength and he fell sideways.

Kaida began to cough desperately and lay on her side taking in large gulps of air bringing her hands to her sore neck. She looked up to see Sturmhond with a gun in the direction where Flinch was before, blowing smoke from the nozzle.

"Kaida" Jake, Alina and Mal runned towards her while Sturmhond kept his gun in his belt. "Are you alright?" Jake asked worriedly.

"Never been better," Kaida said, still coughing. "Thank you, clever fox," she said, still on the floor.

"It's getting to be a habit for me to save you." he said with a smile on his face. "I understand that you want a handsome man like me to save you, but please stop putting yourself in danger," Kaida looked at Sturmhond, annoyed and with Jake's help got to her feet.

"Don't get used to it," Kaida said, rolling her eyes. "Come on," she said, starting to walk up deck where the Sea whip was. "Hello there," Kaida said, sitting next to the beast.