Chapter 28

Attack

"Hello everyone," Kaida said, approaching her friends.

"Hey," Jake said with a smile.

"What are you talking about?" Kaida asked.

"We don't understand why The Darkling hasn't attacked yet," Tamar answered.

"It's been months and he is nowhere to be seen..." Tolya said.

"And?" she asked knowing there was more.

"We were thinking that you could do that thing you did to find Alina to find him," Jake said. Kaida opened her eyes in surprise and disbelief.

"No, I won't do it. It's too dangerous," Kaida said.

"Why? I think it is a good idea. That way we'll know where he is," Nadia said.

"You don't understand, when I do that, if I have a strong emotional connection with the person I'm trying to find —like I have with The Darkling— he will know I'm watching him. I won't be the reason he find us,"

"Brother," Vasily said, calling everyone's attention. "It is good to be able to toast your birth this day and to celebrate with you when you have spent so long on other shores. I salute you and drink to your honor. To your health, little brother!"

"Ne zalost!" chorused the guests.

"Today," he said, "we have more to celebrate than my brother's noble birth."Kaida looked at Vasily, annoyed because of the tone he used to say Nikolai's name. "As you all know," Vasily continued, "I have been traveling these last weeks. I did not go to Caryeva. Instead,

I journeyed north on a mission sanctioned by our dear father." Kaida tensed. "After long and arduous negotiations, I am pleased to announce that Fjerda has agreed to join us in our fight against the Darkling. They have pledged both troops and resources to our cause."

"Can this be?" asked one of the noblemen. Kaida's gray eyes and Nikolai's hazel met worry in their expressions.

Vasily smiled with pride. "It can. At long last and through no small effort, our fiercest enemy has become our most powerful ally," All the room exploded in cheers and The King hugged his eldest son.

"Ne Ravka!"

"This isn't good," Kaida whispered worriedly. Slowly and carefully Kaida walked to where Nikolai was, just in case something happened.

"An extraordinary achievement, brother. I salute you," Nikolai said, lifting his glass. "Dare I ask what they wanted in return for this support?"

"They do drive a hard bargain," Vasily said with an indulgent laugh. "But nothing too onerous. They sought our ports in West Ravka and requested our help policing the southern trade routes against Zemeni pirates. I imagine you'll be of some assistance with that, brother. They wanted a few of the northern logging roads reopened, and once the Darkling is defeated, they expect the cooperation of the Sun Summoner in our joint efforts to push back the Fold."

Saints

Kaida could feel Nikolai's frustration and anger. Which roads?" asked Nikolai.

Vasily waved his hand dismissively. "They're somewhere south of Halmhend, west of the permafrost. They're sufficiently defended by the fort at Ulensk if the Fjerdans get any ideas."

Nikolai stood up, his chair scraping loudly against the parquet floor. "When did you lift the blockades? How long have the roads been open?"

"What differen—"

"How long?"

"A little over a week," Vasily said. "Surely you're not concerned that the Fjerdans intend to march on us from Ulensk? The rivers won't freeze for months, and until then-"