Chapter 32

In the skies

Kaida thought that after crossing the border they were going to West Ravka, but she couldn't be more wrong.

They continued flying and getting higher. The hair grew frigid and cold. Kaida hugged herself, at the end she was just wearing a thin shirt and pants.

"Do you like the view?" Nikolai asked, putting his jacket over Kaida's shoulders.

"I just see clouds," Kaida said with a smile.

"Just wait a few seconds more," he said with a big smile.

They crossed the clouds and now Kaida could see big mountains. They got closer to the mountains and just when Kaida thought they were going to crash, the flying boat rolled hard to the right. Kaida held herself tightly so she wouldn't fall. When she looked up, she found herself between two frozen walls.

"I call it the Bittern," Nikolai whispered in Kaida's ear.

"I'm impressed," she said with a smile.

"You don't know how happy you made me with those words," he said proudly.

"I actually do," Kaida said with a smile.

The crew of the Pelican dropped anchors to the hangar in front of them, where other people were in charge of setting them on the floor correctly.

"What are you planning?" Kaida asked, looking at him panicking.

When the anchors to the hangar were ready, Tamar and Tolya were the first ones to jump.

"What in the world?" Kaida asked. She wasn't going to jump.

"How does he do it?" Alina asked, impressed.

"Want to know my secret?" Nikolai said, appearing behind Alina and Mal, making them jump. "I have a lot of money"

Alina rolled her eyes and Kaida looked at him bored.

"No, really," he protested. "A lot of money,"

"Good for you, my dear," Kaida said, rolling her eyes.

"Come on, everyone jump," Nikolai said. Alina and Mal didn't think twice and jumped. The rest of their friends followed them but Kaida stood there.

"You go first, I will be right behind you," Kaida said to Nikolai. He looked at her for a few seconds but nodded. Nikolai jumped and landed perfectly. When he was on his feet he turned to look at Kaida.

"Come on, you need to jump," Nikolai shouted at her. Kaida was scared, not because she was scared of heights, but because she was too weak, too tired and she doubted her legs would have the enough strength to take her to the other side.

"She is too tired, I don't think she has enough strength to jump," Jake said. Nikolai turned to look at him then he looked back at Kaida.

"Kaida, you need to jump, I promise I'll catch you," he said. Kaida looked at him and took a step closer to the edge. She was going to jump. "Be ready," Nikolai whispered to Zoya, Nadia and Adrik, in case Kaida didn't jump far enough.

Kaida took a deep breath and with all the strength she had jumped. She was sure she was going to fall, that she didn't jump with enough strength, but as he promised he did catch her in his arms.

"See, I catch you," he said with a smile. Kaida got away from his arms and looked at the small iron box in front of them. "Everyone in," he said.

They all looked at him confused but crowded in the little rectangular room. Nikolai pulled a gate closed across the entry.