Bonded Misery

"Prelude.. it is time to confront her directly."

The persistent and forceful pounding on the door continued, undeterred, with the key in your hand, you hurriedly approached the door to unlock it, on the other side stood Bela, her sharp and intense expression reminiscent of an approaching thunderstorm after a calm breeze, she lightly grasped your face, her eyes searching for answers.

"What afflicts your countenance, pale and streaked?" Her voice cut through the air, sharp and penetrating as she scrutinized your features.

"Nothing, merely a tad fatigued." You replied, your voice barely audible.

Accompanied by exclamation marks etched onto her face, she posed her query. "For how long have you been locking the door to the maids' quarters with the key?"

Momentarily baffled, you nearly denied any involvement, the memory of the call fading in your mind, but at the last instant, truth escaped your lips. "I inadvertently closed it, unintentional in my actions."

She observed the new phone in your hands, an undercurrent of anger flickering in her gaze, evidence of her skepticism. "You sealed the quarters to hide your conversation, hoping I wouldn't discover your actions."

"Why do you utter 'verb' with a sharp intonation, tinged with exasperation, as though I have committed an offense?"

"You're aware that using the phone during your daytime duties is strictly prohibited."

"It was but a brief call that I answered."

"As usual, excuses." Bela sneered, stepping into the room with measured strides, soon, the table obscured her path, colliding with the doorframe. "Remove this table from the room, so I may bestow it upon my mother, who requested it some time ago."

Silently, you nodded, your features obscured, as you maneuvered the table out, Bela's unwavering gaze fixated upon you, prompting an anxious bite of your lip and a lowering of your head to conceal your unease, she arched an eyebrow in response to your actions, silently questioning your behavior.

"Why do you appear unusually serene and taciturn?" Bela inquired while turning the key in the lock, capturing both of your arms and cornering you against the wall, positioning you face to face, your gazes intertwining as your bodies synchronized in proximity.

"Why do you inquire, Lady Bela? don't you hate me?"

"You could have spared yourself this turmoil had you fled at the first sign of betrayal but you chose to remain, and thus must accept accountability for your actions."

"Daniela warrants utmost dedication, selecting her is unquestionably the just decision and the righteous choice."

You averted your gaze for a moment, staring out the window into the distance, your mind became absorbed in the intricate details of the outside world, reflected by the glass like a mirror of nature, offering a glimpse into the surroundings that enveloped you, eventually, you caught sight of Bela's reflection, still standing before you, her countenance deliberately turned away, denying you the opportunity to meet her gaze, gradually, she regained her composure, suddenly, you felt the touch of her hands at your neck, slowly moving downward, until she clasped a portion of your suit and subtly pulled you closer.

"People plagued by insanity are often incapable of ascertaining the veracity of their own words, for they often believe the delusions they express, rendering them devoid of signs of deception."

You chuckled softly, pushing her chest with both hands, slightly creating distance between you two. "Can you, at the very least, ascertain my sanity?"

"Don't proclaim to pursue what is best for Daniela, for this is a narrative that has eluded me from its inception."