Doubtful Departure

You proceed forward, walking alongside her in measured, deliberate steps, your proximity ensures that neither of you strays off course or veers in different directions, as you enter the village, your steps slow down, becoming cautious and alert, a grim sight awaits you - most of the houses have their doors ajar, fires burn sporadically, lifeless bodies litter the ground, and blood stains the surroundings, the scene suggests a ferocious attack by unknown assailants, in response, you swiftly nudge her to hide behind you, urging her to take cover.

"What is happening? did you witness anything?" Isla inquires with a mixture of fear and apprehension evident in her voice, expressing her concern towards the unknown peril.

"Take a look at this man, see the state he's in." You reply cautiously. "He's on the verge of death, screaming with the last remnants of his strength, tormented by the agony inflicted upon him by a colossal lycan, it devours his flesh ravenously, akin to a wolf who hasn't eaten its fill."

Her voice trembles with emotion as she responds. "He must have endured immense pain before succumbing, his body still bleeding profusely."

"Damn it, he has spotted us! run!!" You exclaim urgently, swiftly taking off while she follows close behind.

You sense the lycan's speed increasing as it closes in on her, prompting you to urge her to run faster, however she suddenly experiences discomfort in her right foot, slowing her down, in an attempt to assist her, you hold her hand, bearing some of her weight as you continue running, but soon enough, her foot slips, draining her of the strength she had only moments ago, consequently, you find it harder to maintain your agility, compelling you to scoop up some of the liquid blood, smearing it on both your clothes and hers.

A look of disgust crosses her face as she questions. "Why would you do that?"

"By doing so, at least we mask our human scent, the lycans will detect the smell of blood, which permeates this place, it will make it harder for them to pinpoint our exact location, despite their heightened sense of smell, but it doesn't mean we should remain stationary in one spot." You explain, urging her to keep moving.

"You're right, we need to act fast." She said as she slowly backed away and leaned her head against the wall. "I just need a moment to catch my breath, I'm feeling short of breath."

"We can gather together and execute a swift, flawless escape, ensuring my absence goes unnoticed."

"Why the concern?" She inquired, her eyes scanning yours.

"Just so that Daniela doesn't fret about me." You replied, your voice laden with earnestness.

"You still hold her in your thoughts?" She purred, her eyes narrowing slightly. "It appears Daniela has stirred a profound emotion within you, right from that moment until now, hasn't she?"

"It's a fact, and I won't deny it." You sighed softly. "I didn't have much time with her today due to our preoccupation with the ongoing plan, I can only hope that today unfolds peacefully."

"Is there something specific that you're afraid of?"

"I've always been someone who dwells in the past, overlooks the present, and fears the future, so my fear is always about the unknown, and I believe it's justified because anything scary is unknown, and anything unknown is scary."

"You're correct, but not everything is completely unknown, more things are clear, except for the possibility of deception, especially from people we trust, that's when it becomes the worst." She retrieved a bottle beside her and lightly misted her face. "Am I the sole admirer of Mother Miranda's intriguing character? I'm enchanted by her determination and brilliance in her quest to resurrect her daughter, I wouldn't hesitate to partake in her experiments, unlike Lady Dimitrescu's endeavors, which, I must say, have an amusing tendency to falter - a curious detail, don't you think?"