𝟏𝟖

That Saturday morning he wanted to start working on the shed in the back-yard, starting with the outside painting the ten-by-twelve shed a soft blue paint

      That Saturday morning he wanted to start working on the shed in the back-yard, starting with the outside painting the ten-by-twelve shed a soft blue paint. His tall and toned muscles glistened un-der the hot and beaming sun, full in the blue sky with gradually moving clouds. The black Hanes undershirt tank fitted to his build; paint splatters on the ribbed fabric. His soft, french terry knee-length shorts hung off his waist, showing the waistband of his boxer briefs.

The sole of his work boots stood on the ladder while he rolled the paint onto the vinyl exterior. Doing renovations for Dante was therapeutic, growing up lear-ning it from his grandfather. This project for his niece would keep his mind off t-he troubles in the Garden Oaks streets and on something positive. His bluet-ooth earbuds boo-med the Tribe Called Quest record, and Dante bobbing his he-ad. The text tone overthrew the music for a second, and he paused to fish his cell out of his shorts.

A little paint from his hand stained right on his phone case, and a text from 𝐘𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐝 was in the notification bar. 𝙔𝙤𝙪 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙨𝙚, his son's text asked and foll-owed by a image attachment.

With his pinky knuckle, Dante pres-sed the texts that opened their thread. The photo was of a new of low dunks on his right foot, and instead of replying via text, he called and slipped his phone ri-ght back in his pocket.

It took only a single ring for his only child to answer. "You like em?"

"Yeah, I fuck wit em," he approved, and proceeds to paint. "You out shop-ping for school?"

"Yeah, just some sneakers. We gotta wear the Blaze Prep uniforms. We can rock any shoe as long as it's close toed."

"Nothin' wrong wit uniforms. It'll keep you lookin' neat and dapper. You lucky, though. Inala start on Money."

Donye laughed in his ear. "Yeah, she whining bout it on FaceTime last night. I mean we start September first."

Dante finished the whole side and decided to take a break, stepping off the ladder. "You ready to move in?"

"Yeah, I gotta do that in a few days. Momma got me packing like I'm going off to college."

"Shit, you basically are," Dante chuckled a little bit. "That's yo' resid-ence for the next three years; just pack up on Summers and back at it."

"Yeah it's bouta be sum'n new, but I'm ready for it. I been wanting this."

"I want you to keep that mindset," he encouraged Ye. "If you gotta second guess anything when it come to kickin' take yo' ass back to yo' dorm and don't partake. Think better than I did."

"I know, I'm not. Yeah, bro, Ima get these four; size eleven and thirteen." Ye spoke to the salesperson.

"Whatchu getting different sizes for?"