𝟑𝟖

The snow storm had come in

The snow storm had come in. The snowflakes falling heavy and adding to the two inches of snow. The coldness in the home had Dante shivering soon as his eyes opened. He felt no heat blazing out the ventilation that usually would be keeping his being warm since the winter weather started. But with the amount of breeze that was inside the house and his mother's muffled profanity out in the other room made him raise upright.

      The chill was so cold fog was coming out of his mouth as if he was outside. He tossed his long and toned legs off side of the bed, and stood up. His instant regret was sleeping in just his boxer briefs with goosebumps immediately taking over his skin. He rushed to slip on sweats and a coat. His next thing after that was to find out why his mother was cursing someone out. Syn was in her cotton robe with her cell phone held up to her ear.

      "Who you in here cussin' out?" Dante asked, glancing to Inala wrapped up in her blanket on the couch.

      "Girl, let me call you back." Syn hung up her phone and looked to her son. "The goddamn power out and the whole east side damn near. I was on the phone with OG&E since five this mornin and line been busy. We can't watch the news cause the lights out. No heat. Food gonna most likely spoil rotten. Holiday in two days and the weather not letting up. Can't drive wit the cars under the goddamn snow. I'm... Ugh!"

      Dante let out a deep breath. "Okay, lemme handle it, Momma."

      "How? You stuck in here, too," she responded.

      "I know. You doing all this not bouta get us outta here any time sooner. Just relax." Dante said, returning to his room while trying to figure out what to do.

      He picked up his cell phone with only thirty percent battery, letting him know his phone didn't charge much and the power must've went out once they were all asleep. There was a missed calls from Donye and Zura. He started to call his son that was with his mother when another call came in from Zura.

      "Yeah," He answered stressfully.

      "I'm just checking on y'all," her soft voice spoke through his right eardrum. "It's pretty bad and the news is saying some places don't have power."

      "Yeah, we one of those spots." he exhaled, "I'm bouta call some hotels, so lemme hit you back."

      "Even if you find a hotel, how are you going to get there?" Zura asked, with worry in her voice.

      "Ima drive in it," He peered out the blinds and just as his mother mentioned their cars was covered in snow. "Well after I get the piles of snow off."

      "Just go stay over my penthouse," Zura came up with a solution promptly. "And before you give me a no; I'm not there and won't be for a while. It's full with snow here, too. I can send a truck there to pick y'all up, driven by someone that drives well in snow. The building has a generator, so there's heat and food. They say the weather's probably gonna be like this even on the holiday."