𝟑

𝘚𝘪𝘮𝘰𝘯'𝘴 𝘑𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘵 was a black-owned diner that has been in the Garden Oaks community for decades with its go-to milkshakes and juicy stacked burgers; now with a added variety of things on the menu

      𝘚𝘪𝘮𝘰𝘯'𝘴 𝘑𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘵 was a black-owned diner that has been in the Garden Oaks community for decades with its go-to milkshakes and juicy stacked burgers; now with a added variety of things on the menu. After years, that 1950s retro decor remained with baby blue leather chairs and booths, black-and-white checkered flooring, and a jukebox at every table. The music playing out the jukebox's even match with the old jams of black artists sounding around the space at a appropriate volume.

      Dante and his son occupied a table with Camila and Desiree in a booth next to them, so the father and son could talk amongst each other. The team was in the two large wall booths on the other side of the retro diner. Donye was out of his game uniform, and in a plain white tee, joggers, and Jordans. Dante ordered the basket of fries and signature burger with melting cheese; his already half gone. However, Donye hadn't ate at all, even after ordering his favorite meal: the nachos with a Oreo milkshake, his food getting cold and shake melting.

      Donye hung his head, with his medium length two-strand twists dangled in front of his eyes.

      Swallowing his food, Dante cleaned his hands on the napkin as he looked at his son. "I know you mad at me—"

      "Im not mad at you," Donye clarified, and leaned back in the chair to connect gazes with his father. "The situation has me more upset, I guess. I know with your situation you gotta ask first."

      "Which I promise you, I hate wit a passion as a grown man. This why I stress for you to stay in yo books, and focus on basketball cause only one mistake will snatch that away." Dante recited as he done several times before. "But listen, Ima ask if I can go. That's why I'm not gonna give you a solid yes cause I don't want to disappoint you more than I already have. A'ight?"

      Donye simply nodded, and Dante shook his head.

      "Nah, gimme a smile, boy."

      Donye forced a wide grin that soon turned into a real one along with Dante smiling with him. They exchange in their handshake. "Aight, you can go kick it witcha team. I ain't gon' hold you."

      "Aight, love you, Pops." Donye walked over and hugged him.

      "Love you, too, Ye." Dante replied, and smiling as he watched his boy join his team that applauded him over.

      Donye old seat was soon filled by Camila. "So, how'd he take it?"

      "He sad, but Ima talk with my P.O. and see can approve it."

      "Yeahh, I don't know bout that wit Tasha. She a hard ass, wouldn't let Hope baby daddy go nowhere. Not even outta the city for his aunt's funeral."

      "Terry?" Dante asked, familiar wit Camila's older sister first child's father, and she nodded. "He pushed dope, I didn't. Fuck Ima burglarize somebody shit in country ass Idabel fa?"