Job Hunt

Ashton introduced me to his cousin, Aria, about a week ago. She got me one of the cheap rooms on the bottom floor. I couldn't complain. It was bigger than that the three star drug joint and it was actually cheaper. I already had some food in the mini fridge. Just some pickles, sandwich meat, cheese, and I stuck some potato rolls in there.

The past few nights I've been sitting on the floor job hunting. I just realized today, I should have done that while I was in Connecticut. I'd scan through the lists and pick out jobs that didn't seem to depressing. By depressing, I mean I would hang myself within a month of working there. I've called plenty of places, gone to plenty of interviews, and failed at every one of them besides a Pizza Town. I walked out of there because the kitchen reeked of stale food. The restaurant itself smelled of vomit.

I'm sitting on my floor at the moment, trying to find some luck, but nothing is screaming 'WORK HERE!' at me. I scan and scan, but finally I found an job I'd consider! It was a coffee shop down the street, according to my phone, and I wasn't time. Coffee was another one of my favorite things. I bolted out of my room with the newspaper in hand. This was too perfect. I got walking directions to the restaurant, plugged my headphones in, and decided to jog there.

Around fifteen minutes later, I got to the coffee shop and asked the lady at the counter about the job offer. She smiled like i was a costumer, or a candy bar, and told me to wait at a table and that she'd send the manager to interview me in a minute. I thanked her and sat down. After about five minutes a guy came out and sat down with me.

"Hey! Welcome to Francisco's Finest. I'm Dan, the coffee house manager. I heard you wanted to know about the job we have open?"

"Yeah. I'm Rachel, by the way."

"Where are you from?"

"Connecticut."

"Explains the soft pronouncing of words."

"Erm. Okay? So what would I have to do in this position?"

"You would be in change of running events every Friday at the coffee house, and be a barista."

"Sounds great! Coffee is the only drug I need." I say, trying to sound excited.

"Well! You have some pep in your step don't ya." He jokes and I laugh an awkward laugh.

"Yeah. I suppose."

"We'll test you next week for the job. Your trainer is going to be Eliza. She's my top barista." He says pointing at the girl at the counter. She waved and, sort of, smiled at me. Then she turned around and started sorting coffee cups and sugar packets. What a fun time she must be having.

"So I've gotten the job?" I ask, trying not to sound too desperate.

"Yeah. You got it." He smiled and walked back behind the counter.

"So when do you want me to come in next week?"

"Ask Eliza."

"Eliza," I say and smile, "when do you want to have me come in?"

She turns and looks me up and down.

"Tuesday. Opening time. Aka, 6am. Good?"

"Sure." I say barely processing it and she notices. She gives me a half grin and turns back around.

"See you next week." I say.

"Yeah. Bye."

I had no idea what her deal was, but I immediately whipped out my phone and called Aunt Mary.

"Rachel! How's it going?"

"Great! I actually just got a job as a barista and event planner at a coffee shop!"