Francisco's Finest

I walk to Francisco's Finest that rainy Tuesday and found Eliza, my trainer, at the counter. She plasters a smile for a second and waves me to come with her behind the counter.

"You know how to work one of these machines?" She asks.

"Yeah. I guess."

"Good thing that's my job, not yours."

"Um. Okay. What is my job?"

"Yell the customers orders at me."

"What about the events on Friday?"

"Hang a flyer in the front of the store. Make some event up like a karaoke night, poetry time, or, or, I don't know! It's your job, not mine."

"Okay. Okay. I'll think of something."

"Not too pricey either. Dan can't afford this place forever."

"Sure I can!" I hear Dan shout as he walks out of the back room.

"Danny," Eliza says.

"Shut up Eliza and help Rachel." He says and walks back into the room.

"Dick." She mumbles and goes to sorting sugars. That must be her thing.

"So am I done?" I ask.

"Yeah. Go talk to Dan about this Friday new girl." She must be in a mood now. Thanks Dan. I head back to the room, which I find is a storage room with a door in the back. I head to the door and knock.

"C'mon in Rachel." He says. I enter the small room. He has a small office. It's pretty ordinary considering how much of a cool person Dan has been.

"How did you know it was me?" I ask.

"Eliza just barges in."

"Ah."

"So any ideas for Friday?"

"How about poetry night?" I suggest.

"Good enough! Lets think of more unique events soon, though."

"Sounds great to me!"

"Great." He says and turns his view to the computer. I turn to the door.

"Oh, and Dan,"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for the job."

"No problem. You'll bring in more costumers." He laughs.

I exit and head back to Eliza. She's still messing with sugar packets. I had wondered why she did that, but decided not to ask when she was in one of her moody fazes. I just say on a stool and waited for someone to come in.

I got my first costumer around an hour later. It took me a minute, but they must have been a regular. She was very patient and said bye to Eliza after getting her coffee. Things were pretty slow at the coffee shop. I didn't know if it was because it was Tuesday, or because that's just how the coffee shop was. I didn't want to ask Dan or Eliza. They may have gotten a bit aggravated. Hell, Eliza was always aggravated with me. We were around the same age. She was 23! I was almost 21! She was acting like a 50 year old woman. I didn't get why she was so annoyed by me. She wasn't like that to anyone really. She spat with Dan, but that was their thing, I guess. Her and Dan were like Ashton and I. They were close, but definitely not in a relationship. Whatever her problem, I planned to find out. I wasn't going to let her ruin this job for me.