Gaining

I was tired of the silence, so I went and put my headphones in. Johnny Cash's and June Carter's song Jackson was playing and I was starting to relax. It was one of my guilty pleasure songs. Ashton looked crazy tired. I just wanted to curl up and sleep. It had been a long day for everyone. I fell asleep in the car.

I woke up when I felt him grab my hand and rub it. I opened my eyes. We had traveled to somewhere I didn't know. I checked the time. It was 11:04pm.

"Where are we?" I asked. He didn't answer. He wiped his eyes with his free hand.

"Ashton? It's late. Where-"

"Shh."

"What-"

"Shh!" He said and closed his eyes.

I looked out the windows. Still had no idea. It was black out. No one was around. I took out my phone. The weather app would tell me. I slid down on the screen, but it said the data couldn't be found. Great. In the middle of nowhere.

"Wanna go for a walk?" He asked.

"No. I wanna go back to our place."

"Please."

"It's dark. I'm tired. I don't wanna walk."

"I'll give you a piggyback ride."

"Ashton c'mon. Lets go back."

"Bye." He let go and left the car, slamming the door.

I chased out after him, but saw him nowhere. I walked around with my flash on my phone turned on, but couldn't find him. I walked back to the car. I sat on the car trunk because the doors were locked. For Cali, it was kind of chilly. I wondered when and if he would be back. Wonderful Ashton. Nice of you to abandon me. I hear a rustle. Great now there's a bear or something. Maybe a coyote. Or are those only in Connecticut? I don't know. The scavengers are probably everywhere. The noise is louder.

"Ashton?" I shout.

I feel something rip me off the car and throw me over them. I recognize the arms. It's Ashton. I don't know where he's going with me.

"Ashton let go!" I scream and he doesn't answer. I aim for his stomach and nudge him with my knee. He falls to his knees and then drops me on the ground beside him. I laugh and I hear him chuckle a bit too.

"Ow. Nice job." He mumbles and laughs again. I liked hearing his laugh.

I got up and sat next to him on the ground. I laid back and so did he. We found each others hand and linked together. I didn't know where we were, but I didn't care. I was with him and he was getting better. I heard him sniffle and I looked over. I could see better now.

"Hey Ashton." I said and he turned his head to me, revealing his tears.

"Yeah?" He asked weakly.

"I hope you know I'll be there for you. No matter what. You can cry on my shoulder. Hug me. Anything. Alright? It's like the night you took me to the park and hugged me because I was a mess."

"I know." He sat up and I followed.

"Good." I say and he rests his head on my shoulder. He tries to wipe the tears, but they begin to seep through my shirt.

"I want to be happy again." He almost whispers.

"We'll figure it out."

"Promise me I'll feel better."

"I promise I'll do whatever's in my power to make you the real you again."