Work Haul

I'd been in my apartment for a bit more than two weeks. I was happy. It wasn't like living with Ashton. It's more fun with a roommate, but, like I said before, he's not here for me. He probably won't be again. It hurt. I can't change a person. I just have to keep moving.

I pulled myself out of bed and dug through my drawer. I pulled out a pair of dark wash jeans and one of my beige "work shirts" as I called them. I jumped into the shower and got dressed and ready for work. One of the best things about working at a coffee shop was that you didn't need to make yourself breakfast in the morning. I was fine with a cup of coffee until lunch.

I headed in early, but no one best Dan to work ever. That guy probably showed up at 4am every day. Eliza was already here too. I've only beat her to work on several occasions. One, because she burned her wrist on her coffee pot.

So I go with the daily flow and the I couldn't believe what happened after lunch. Ashton walked by the door twice and went to open it the third time. I ran into Dan'a office where he gave me a confused look because I was hiding back there.

"Uh, Rachel?" He asks.

"Ashton is here." I whispered.

"Looking for you?"

"I don't know!"

"Well, go see."

"I can't!"

"Why not?"

"Because it's too hard."

"He wouldn't be here if he didn't love you."

"He never told me he loved me."

"Well, go find out." He says and points his finger at the door.

Eliza was still on her lunch break, so I was screwed. I had to serve him. He rings the bell on the counter for about the fifth time and I rush out.

"Hey." He says and I just nod my head.

"What can I get you?" I ask. He was going to fight for us if he wanted it.

"Just a black coffee. I'll put sugar and milk in myself."

"Alright. Is that all?" I ask and he nods.

"Yep. That's it." He says.

"That'll be $2.11." I say and place the coffee on the counter. He puts a five down.

"Rest is tip. Thanks.'' He says and walks out.

Ashton just ignored me. I didn't even exist just now. My eyes brim. I blink, letting the tears fall down my face. Eliza walks in several minutes later. I'm still frozen at the counter. I haven't even touched the five he left. I just stare down.

"Rachel?" She asks. I don't answer.

"Dan!" She shouts. I see him come out of his room.

"Rachel what happened?" She asks as I wipe my eyes.

"What did Ashton do?" Dan asks.

"He did nothing. He came in, ordered a coffee, and left." I say.

"Did he know it was you?" Eliza asks. I stare at her.

"Stupid question. Sorry." She says and pulls me in for a hug.

"He just walked in and left. Just like that. I was right here. He just left!" I find myself shouting at the end.

"Alright. It's two o'clock. Why don't you go home early today?" Dan says, but I shake my head.

"What's the point? He's not going to come and buy another coffee. If I go home, all I can do is sulk. " I say bitterly.

"Fine. Why don't you work on this weeks event." Dan says and turns back to go to his office.

"Fine." I say.

I take out my bag from under the coffee counter. I pull out my calendar and address book. I could try and email Liz Lawrence. She had a song called When I Was Younger that I fell in love with. I email her and she responds quickly. She wants to perform on Friday. Guess my work was finished. I still don't feel better. Ashton tore me apart again.