Chapter 20

I woke up when I felt someone enter the tent, and I snarled and sat up quickly with my eyes still closed.

My whole body was tense, and I was ready to attack anyone to protect the person that was still asleep.

The person gasped in shock and almost dropped whatever they had in their hands but was able to catch it before anything spilled.

I opened my eyes and saw that it was only Caroline, looking at me with wide eyes and shaking slightly.

Her whole body was tense, and her bottom lip quivered as she stared at me. She had a bowl of something in her hand, and I was impressed that she didn't spill it when she accidentally dropped it.

I groaned and relaxed while I laid back on the cot, embarrassed, and my cheeks turned red. "Sorry," I said and closed my eyes while I rubbed my face with a deep sigh. "I thought you were still in the other bed asleep."

Caroline hesitated but relaxed slightly. "It's morning," she said softly. "You have been out for about a day and a half."

I bit back another groan, annoyed that I overslept, but I wasn't that surprised because I had been exhausted. "Were there any more attacks?" I asked before I shoved the blanket off of my body and sat up quickly.

I clutched the cot's frame when the world started to spin and let out a low hiss while I closed my eyes and grimaced.

"No," Caroline said and shook her head. "The prisoners are still tied up, and Cooper hasn't been in Uris's tent. He hasn't been in any of their tents for some reason." She frowned and cocked her head while she studied me. "Are you ok?" she asked.

"I will be," I said and slowly nodded. "What do you have in your hand?" I asked, changing the subject and praying that she understood and would change it too.

"Broth," she replied and held it towards me, "for you."

My stomach growled, and my mouth watered when she said that. "I am hungry, so good and thank you," I said, and a small smile appeared on her face.

Caroline nodded and walked to the table. She set it on there and watched as I stood and walked over to the table slowly.

"Do you have food?" I asked and sat down with a sigh, and she sat down on the other side.

Caroline shook her head and held her hand when I was about to say something. "I already ate," she said, and I nodded and closed my mouth, relieved.

I pulled the packet of gum out of my pocket and took one out. I still didn't trust the people here not to put a spell on me, and I wasn't going to try and play with my life yet.

"What's that?" Caroline asked while I put it in my mouth. She cocked her head and furrowed her brows while she looked at me.

"Gum," I replied and started to chew it with a shrug. "Magical gum actually."

"For?" She raised an eyebrow in question.

"It's to make sure that if there are spells in the food or whatever, then they won't affect me."

A look of pain flashed across her face, but she didn't say a word. She pressed her lips into a thin line and looked down, not able to meet my gaze.

"It's not to do with you or anyone here," I said with a shake of my head. "I am placed in a pack that has been putting magic spells in my food and drink, and my family is nervous about anything happening to me. Since I can't contact them here..." I shrugged and grimaced.

A look of understanding appeared on her face while she slowly nodded. "You're making sure that you are more careful to make sure that they don't worry about you. Right?" She raised an eyebrow in question.