Chapter 14

Caroline opened her mouth to say something when the curtain flap was pushed open. She made this weird squeaking sound while I pulled her behind me to protect her from whoever the intruder was.

A boy about eighteen stood at the entrance of the tent and looked around the room with wide eyes. His gaze landed on me and then Caroline peeked from behind my shoulder and grew relaxed, but his body lied about what he was feeling. "You're here," he said, and something in his voice sounded very suspicious. "You're alive. Are you ok?"

I narrowed my eyes and scowled. "Who the fuck are you?" I asked, earning a bit of a laugh from Giselle.

The boy looked at me and scowled and narrowed his eyes. "I could be asking you the same thing," he said. "Who are you? Why are you protecting her like this? Get away from her."

I laughed. "Fuck no," I said, "and I asked you first. Who the hell are you, and what gives you the right to barge into this tent?"

Caroline pulled on my shirt, and I pulled my gaze off of him and looked at her. She looked at me with wide eyes, and I had a feeling that she was nervous around him too. "That's Silas," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "He's one of my protectors, and he's the only one that I have found."

The male, Silas scowled, and narrowed his eyes at her. "Why did you tell her my name?" he asked in a sharp tone, and Caroline flinched and hid behind me so that she couldn't see him. "You aren't supposed to do that."

"And you aren't supposed to be a dick," I said, "but it looks to me like you are being one. That shit is uncalled for, especially since you are supposed to protect her and listen to her or whatever Protectors do."

"I take it that your mom doesn't let us do our job still?" Giselle asked and raised an eyebrow. Amusement and sadness filled her eyes, and I had a feeling that she thought that my mother would be alive if she did.

"No," I said and shook my head, and she bit back a chuckle. "Besides, there is a high chance that one of you would have died if you did get in her way," I added. "And I am pretty sure that would have caused her to go insane or hurt herself because of the immense amount of guilt that she felt."

"But she could have had you," Giselle said and gave me a pointed look, and I shook my head. "You could have gotten her out of that funk."

"I don't think so," I said slowly and furrowed my brows while I thought about it. "I don't think Mom would allow Dad to touch her like that, and I don't think Dad would use her feelings against her if she is in that state of mind."

Silas narrowed his eyes and scowled, confused. "Who are you?" he asked. "Why is she behind you and not behind someone that she knows?" He gestured to Giselle, and I looked at her before I looked at him.

"Well, technically, she does know me," I said. "It doesn't matter if you know me or not. She does and feels safe around me, especially because of my lineage and who I am and all that jazz."

"That doesn't help me."

"Good," I replied, "because I don't want this disclosed to you." I ignored his growl and looked at Giselle. "Should we get going?" I asked. "I am pretty sure that Cooper is going to be all bitchy because we are taking too long to get there."

"She isn't going to go anywhere with you," Silas growled and bared his teeth. He took a threatening step towards me, and I raised an eyebrow. "Caroline, get away from her, now."

Caroline refused to do what he said and stayed behind me. She watched him with wide eyes, and I had a feeling that she thought he would take her away from behind me, which was not going to happen.