Chapter 19

The man looked at me and blinked. He stayed silent and didn't answer my question, and I stayed silent and waited for him to say something.

I bit back a sigh when I took a breath and cleared my throat. "Do you talk?" I asked, and he shrugged. "What about like this?" I asked and used the sign language that I was taught when I was younger, praying that this was something that this timeline knew.

Relief filled the man's eyes, and he nodded. He shifted and tried to say something to me, but he couldn't because his hands were tied behind his back.

"What did you do?" Caroline asked. Curiousness and confusion filled her voice, and I had a feeling that she didn't know what I did. "What was that?"

"It's called sign language," I said and looked at her. "It's another form of language and is mainly used for mute and deaf people. There's a few different types of it, but the one I used is basically American Sign Language."

Caroline slowly nodded, and there was a look of confusion on her face. "How do you know it?" she asked, and I shrugged.

"It's because I wanted to help someone when I was younger and learned how to do it. I normally talk to people like that if I can't use a mindlink or something," I said and shrugged again. "Are you comfortable with him being untied so that he can talk? I'll let you know what he has to say."

Caroline hesitated and looked at the shadow tendril that was Fernos. She didn't say a word while she looked at the shadow before she looked at me, silently debating it.

"If he tries anything, then I will save your ass and set his butt on fire." I cleared my throat and flashed the male a small smirk to let him know that I wouldn't do it.

The male slowly nodded and pressed his lips into a thin line. He looked at Caroline before he looked at me.

Caroline hesitated again but nodded. "Ok," she said, softly. "You can let him talk." She cleared her throat and shifted on her feet. "Are you going to tell me what he said?"

"'Course," I replied and nodded while I walked over to him. "I will tell you what he says, and if you have questions for him, then I can give you his answers." I walked behind him and took the rope off his arms, and he instantly moved his hands in front of him and rubbed his wrists.

He didn't try to stand, and I didn't take off the rope from around his legs.

"Ok," I said and wrapped the rope around my hand while I walked in front of him. "Now, are you able to tell me your name?" I asked and raised an eyebrow, even though I had a feeling that he could and would.

He nodded. 'My name is Uris,' he said. 'You are..?' He raised an eyebrow, and I knew that he wanted us to introduce ourselves.

"I'm Kyler, and this is my friend, Caroline," I said and gestured to her when I made it back to her side. I looked at Caroline. "His name is Uris."

Caroline nodded and pressed her lips into a thin line. "Why are you afraid of Cooper?" she asked softly, asking the question that I had asked him the first time. "Why did you not want him in the tent with us?"

Uris hesitated and looked down while he pressed his lips into a thin line. He didn't say a word while he rubbed his wrists again, thinking about why he didn't want him in the tent in the first place.

"Have you met him before?" I asked when he didn't answer off the bat.

Uris looked at me before he nodded, indicating that he had.

Still, he stayed silent and didn't say how he met Cooper, and I had a feeling that it wasn't a good memory for him. Pain filled his dark brown eyes while he stared at me, and I had a feeling that he didn't want to go down memory lane.