Chapter 21

Caroline looked between us and frowned before she looked at me. "Can we see what is wrong with the people?" she asked softly, changing the subject. "I think that might help you get your mind off of a few things..." She shifted in her seat and cleared her throat while she looked away from me.

I shrugged and grimaced, deciding that it wouldn't be best to push him because I knew that he wasn't going to answer anyway.

If only he were my grandfather, and I could vaguely know why, I silently mused while I stood, then maybe I can figure out what they did to make my mom and Cason stay alive...

"Well?" Caroline asked and looked at me again. She raised her eyebrow and cocked her head while she studied me. "Can we?"

I bit back a small sigh and nodded while I rubbed my face. "Ok," I said, silently cursing myself for sounding rather tired when I had slept for a day and a half. "We can, but I do hope that I can learn about it one day, Fernos." I looked at the shadow tendril and narrowed my eyes, and the shadow just stayed there, not moving.

Again, Caroline looked between us before she cleared her throat and stood. "What do you think is going to happen with them now?" she asked. "Do you think that you will get some answers to your questions?"

"Hopefully," I replied and stood. "I have a lot of them, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be getting a lot of growls and glares or people telling me to ask someone else."

"Like?"

"I'm pretty sure that people are going to tell me to ask Cooper, and Cooper is going to just roll his eyes and scoff while he mutters something under his breath." I shrugged and grimaced. "That's going to be fun and a pain in the ass."

"It will be," she said and nodded. She cleared her throat and grew serious while she raised an eyebrow. "Who are we going to talk to first?" she asked, changing the subject again.

"The guy that I was standing over," I replied, "and then Uris and then the others. I wonder if Dalen is feeling a bit better from two days ago. I think whatever I told him upset him a lot."

I walked out of the tent only to be put back in it by Fernos, and Caroline gasped and moved out of my way.

My stomach rolled from being transported through the shadows, and I groaned in both annoyance and frustration. "Really?" I asked. "Why? Did he seriously tell you to keep me here?"

Fernos didn't say a word nor make himself a shadow form so that he could talk to us.

I rolled my eyes and scowled before I looked at Caroline. "Do you want to see if you can step out?" I asked and raised an eyebrow, and she hesitated before she shook her head no.

"If he told you to stay in, then I am sure that he told me to stay in too," she said apologetically, "and I don't want to feel as if I am going to throw up."

I huffed and rubbed the bridge of my nose before I nodded. "Fine," I said while I pursed my lips in annoyance, "then, I guess we are going to have to do this the hard way."

"The hard way?" Caroline asked. "How do you do that?"

"By being a pain in the ass," I said and eyed the tent flap again. "Gimme one second, and I'll explain in a bit."

I took a deep breath before I walked through the tent flap and was sent back into the tent again. I bit back a groan and held my stomach while I took a deep breath. "Fuck," I said before I cleared my throat.

"What are you doing?" Caroline asked. "Don't you know that you are going to get sick or have something bad happen to you if you keep doing it?"

"I told you," I said, "I'm going to be a pain in the ass. That means going through a couple of times before he lets me out." I shrugged and grimaced. "I've done it a few times before, so I know when he'll let me through."