Chapter 24

We exited the tent a few seconds later and checked in on a few other people, including Dalen. Everyone was more or less in good spirits, even though they were tied up, and I had a feeling that most were relieved not having to do whatever they had to do before they came to us.

I was on my way to check on the last tent when I heard the loudest growl that I had ever heard in my life coming our way. I bit back a small groan and continued to walk toward the tent that held the last person we needed to talk to, and Caroline hesitated but followed me without looking back.

"KYLER!" the owner of that growl exclaimed with another growl, and I rolled my eyes and mocked him silently. "What do you think you are doing?"

"Ignoring you. What does it look like I am doing?" I called back when I reached the tent. I was about to open it when the person grabbed my arm and wrenched me away from it.

Acting quickly and without realizing it, I grabbed the person's arm and went down, swiping their feet from under them.

This movement stunned the person, and they didn't have any time to react to what I had done and ended up on the ground with a large thud! Their arm was twisted at an angle that was easy for me to pop it out of place and then my foot on their face in that split second before even my brain could process what happened.

"Kyler!" someone exclaimed behind me, and I looked that way to see Giselle looking at me with her hands covering her mouth as if to either hide back a laugh or in shock; I couldn't tell which.

I blinked and blinked again before I looked down to see that it was Cooper that I was holding in a death grip and was about to pop his arm out of place. "Shit!" I exclaimed and released him, and my face turned red. "Sorry, Cooper," I said and covered my face with embarrassment. "I didn't realize it was you who had grabbed me." My voice was muffled due to my hands being over my face, but I had a feeling that he understood me.

You stupid motherfucker, I thought, silently cringing, now you are sure as hell as getting punished and kicked out.

Cooper didn't respond and stood. He dusted himself and looked at me with something in his eyes that I couldn't describe.

"Are you ok?" I asked, my voice still muffled. "I didn't hurt you too badly; did I?"

He shook his head no and stayed silent.

I moved a hand through my hair before I breathed out a sigh of relief while I moved my other hand off of my face. "Good," I said softly before I cleared my throat and grew serious. "What did you want?"

Cooper blinked and then blinked again before he dusted himself off some more. He opened his mouth to say something before he closed his mouth again. He looked at Giselle before he looked at me again.

"Did I break you by accident?" I asked, and Cooper shook his head no. I stayed silent and raised an eyebrow while I waited for him to say something, anything, but he didn't.

He cleared his throat and stood taller while he pressed his lips into a thin line. "What are you doing?" he asked, finally, and I bit back a snort while I rolled my eyes. "Why aren't you two in her tent?" He gestured to Caroline, and Caroline stood taller and grew tense while her heart skipped a beat before it started to pound a little faster.

"I am working on getting to know the prisoners," I said and shrugged, and Cooper's scowl deepened. "And the reason why we aren't in her tent is because of us working on getting to know them like you should be doing too."

"That doesn't mean you should be out of the tent without my permission," he said, ignoring my comment, and I bit back a snort but rolled my eyes. He narrowed his eyes and set his jaw, annoyed, and I raised an eyebrow in question. "What was that?" he asked, and he narrowed his eyes further while he took a threatening step toward me.

"That was a snort," I replied sarcastically, not phased about him threatening me, "or at least me holding back a snort because you are being a fucking idiot."

"Excuse me?" Cooper asked, and his voice turned darker. He took another threatening step toward me, and I rolled my eyes and scowled, not phased, even though I was a bit hurt. "What did you call me?"

"An idiot," I replied. "I called you an idiot."

Cooper pressed his lips into a thin line, and he didn't say a word.

Anger came off of him in waves, and all I did was hold back an eye roll while I looked at him and waited for him to do something.

"Can I continue, or are you going to just yell at me?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. "If you are done, then I would like to continue. I haven't talked to him yet, and I am interested in seeing what happened a day and a half ago when I stood over him."

"And then you go back to the tent, both of you." He looked at Caroline as well, and Caroline hesitated and took a step back.

"No," I replied and shook my head, and Cooper looked at me. "And Fernos will not be able to take me back either because I don't want him to. Also, if he tries to take Caroline back without my permission, then something... bad could happen, but I don't know what."

Cooper studied me and scowled. "How did you escape?" he asked, finally, and I raised my eyebrow in question before I relaxed the eyebrow. "I thought Demons can make it so that no one can escape their confines."

"They can," I said and shrugged, "unless the person that is not allowed to leave wants to suffer... some consequences. This can range from throwing up to passing out to guts, I think." I furrowed my brows and cocked my head while I tried to think about a joke that Cason usually told us when Fernos wasn't around. "Ya... guts is something that can happen, but I don't know what that something is. My cousin tried to tell me, but my grandfather stopped him for some reason."

Caroline bit back a snort, and she cleared her throat when we looked at her. She shifted on her feet and looked between me and Cooper. Her eyes were wide, and I had a feeling that she didn't mean to do that.

"Now, can I go inside and see what happened to him that day?" I asked and raised an eyebrow while I looked at Cooper. "Please? I want to know. I don't want you in there because I have no idea how your behavior was two days ago." I looked at Giselle and raised an eyebrow.

Giselle shook her head and cleared her throat, and Cooper looked at her and narrowed his eyes. "He has been ok with him," she said, softly. "However, he has been growling and arguing with him."

I nodded and looked at Cooper. "Then both Caroline and I will go in and talk to him. Hopefully you haven't scared him too much so that he won't answer my questions. If you did, then I am sure that it would be bad."

Cooper growled and took a threatening step toward me, and I stood my ground. "You are not going in," he said. "I forbid it."

"Then it's a good thing that I don't have to listen to you; isn't it?" I said and angled my body toward the tent while I watched him. "I think you have figured out that you can't do anything to me, and if you hadn't, then you need to learn quickly for the sake of this universe."

"Your title means nothing."

I bit back a scoff and rolled my eyes. "Oh, please," I said. "It means that I am a hell of a lot more important than you. If I wasn't, then I wouldn't be here." I took another step forward, my posture turning offensive instead of defensive, and Cooper looked shocked while he took a step back. "Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to go ahead and go in there. You, you can go do something else or wait right here for me to be finished. Whatever you do, I don't care as long as it doesn't defect my business. Understood?"

Cooper opened his mouth to protest, but he closed it instead because of something on my fane. "Fine," he said begrudgingly while he growled, "but Gieslle is going in there with you. Is that understood?"

I bit back a small satisfied smirk and nodded. "Yes, Alpha," I said. "She will be able to come in.

And with one final growl, Cooper turned and walked away from the tent, and I bit back a sigh of relief, grateful that he didn't want to try to fight me.

Goddess, what is wrong with him? Please help him become the man that I know him as.

Please.