Yuki's backstory part 2

Still with 2 years prior Stray Kids' reunion

-Mako? Yuki heard his little brother crying on the staircase.

He was covered in bruises, with a black eye and a busted lip.

-Mako! What happened? he crouched down and whiped the tears from his rosy cheeks.

-Nii-san... It's dad. You didn't come to pick me up so the teacher called him.

Yuki's heart broke the moment he realised it was all his fault. He promised himself he wouldn't let his younger brother get hurt and look what he did.

-I'm so sorry, Mako! Please forgive me! Please... Your nii-san will take you away from here. I promise! he cried himself as the guilt settled inside his brain.

-H-How? Mako looked up with hope sparkling in his eyes.

-With this, Yuki took out of his pocket a poster. It's a music contest. The winner gets a lot of money. I can take us to our aunt, far away from dad. I just need to win.

-You will, Mako smiled at his brother.

-I will, Yuki promised to his brother.

At the hospital

-Mister Yang? You have a letter, the nurse handed the resident an envelope.

-Thanks! Jeongin took it and sat down to enjoy his coffee and see what did he receive.

Inside the envelope was the flyer of the music contest and a note: "It would mean a lot to me if you came to see me, doctor Yang."

Jeongin smiled shortly and folded the paper to keep it in his pocket. A date with Chan at a music festival didn't sound so bad.

Yuki found himself in music again thanks to Jeongin. He practiced and practiced until his hands became sore. He would take advantage of every moment his father was out to buy alcohol. He would sing and sing and practice behind his back. And as the days passed, his father's screams became just background sound to his sweet music and his fists nothing more than motivation. He was ready.

The day of the contest he peeked in the crowd, but couldn't see doctor Yang anywhere.

-That's okay. He must be busy at the hospital. I'll show him the trophy afterwards, he mumbled to hype himself up.

After a couple of hours the great price was standing between him and another boy that played the piano.

And it was all the jury's decision that was meant to change the course of Yuki's life.

He was already daydreaming about what he would do. Maybe buy a house, get a job and raise his brother. Find his mother and show off. Even pay doctor Yang back.

Unfortunately, he lost.

He had built his expectations so high up in the sky that the moment the winner was announced he felt the weight of a building landing on his shoulders.

He didn't even have the courage to go home. How could he go and tell Mako that he failed him. That he wasn't good enough. How was he supposed to admit he was wrong in front of their father? He was going to get killed.

So he wandered in the parking lot, trying to find a way to explain his failure to his family, when he noticed something strange: the winner and one of the jury were heading to one car together, where a lady was waiting for them. She got out of the car and kissed them both on the cheeks. They were a family. The jury was the winner's father... It was nepotism. The rules were strict. It was forbidden for the jury to have any kind of connection with the contestants. He broke the rules, his vote was null. Yuki was supposed to win.