Thanksgiving

Kaia

I woke up early waiting for the flight that was heading to my home and it got canceled due to the storm that was in the area, I was upset about it but decided to get a cab ride back to home and call my parents to let them know the unfortunate news that I hated saying...

I picked up my phone and told them what I just heard.

Salem: hey honey. How is everything going?

Kaia: things are great mom...

Salem: we can't wait to see you.

Kaia: yeah mom about that, I won't be able to make it because of the snow storm moving in where I am. I wish I could be there cause I miss you all.

Salem: we miss you too Kaia and we wish you could make it home but we don't have control over the weather.

Kaia: tell everyone that I love them and that I wish I was there.

Salem: I will honey, take care of yourself. We love you.

Kaia: I love you too mom, I gotta go so I can buy a few groceries.

Salem: okay sweetheart, talk to you soon.

I hung up the phone and fell back on my couch, dreading the blizzard that was moving in. I was looking forward to seeing everyone but I knew I could see them on Christmas if the snow storm wasn't bad that week.

I headed to the grocery store and bought a small turkey and a few sides, I never spent Thanksgiving alone and was dreading every second of it. I went back home and stuck the turkey in the fridge and left the sides out so I wouldn't forget to cook them.

*Two days later*

Today was Thanksgiving and I was listening to the weather report while the turkey was in the oven, I hadn't put much effort into making it look fancy since it was just me but that was before I heard a knock on at my door, I hadn't been expecting anyone but a few of the neighbors like making unannounced visits every once in awhile. I looked through the hole on the door and seen the last person that I thought would show up.

Kaia: Matt, what are you doing here?

Matt: I had a last minute show last night and thought I would could see you.

Kaia: come inside, it's cold outside...

He walked inside and looked around while I closed the door.

Matt: you have a nice place...

Kaia: thank you, so how come you aren't with your family? It is Thanksgiving after all...

Matt: well there's the issue with the weather and I don't exactly get along with my dad since my mom left.

Kaia: I'm sorry to hear that, I shouldn't have pried...

Matt: it's alright... so how come your family didn't come visit you?

Kaia: they weather and the distance it would take getting here from where they are.

Matt: I thought you were from here...

Kaia: no, I'm from Nebraska...

Matt: just out of curiosity, why would you want to be so far away from your home?

Kaia: well there's the college and I want to do something with my life instead of living the life of a farmer's daughter...

Matt: so we're talking corn or other vegetables?

Kaia: that and the occasional horse and cow rustling. It wasn't what I wanted for myself...

Matt: well in case nobody has told you, Welcome to New York.

Kaia: thank you...

Matt: the food sure smells good...

Kaia: are you hungry? There's plenty for us if you're not in a hurry.

Matt: I actually didn't plan on staying another night but since you're offering, I would love a plate. Will it be okay if my driver joined us?

Kaia: sure, it's not like I planned on eating alone. I'm actually happy I won't be spending it by myself...

I watched as he walked outside and returned five minutes later with someone slightly older than he was.

Matt: this is my driver Andrew and Andrew this is Kaia.

Kaia: it is nice meeting you sir.

Andrew: it is nice meeting you as well ma'am, thank you for having us.

Kaia: it's not a problem, nobody deserves to be alone on Thanksgiving and I apologize if there isn't much food, I wasn't exactly expecting company

Matt: I apologize for showing up unannounced...

Kaia: it's okay Matt, I don't mind the company.