🎬39🎬

I always wondered what it would be like to be so hungry, with only a Pop Tart keeping me going, lack of burgers because I had too much work to do.

And now came Friday Night Dinner. The Pop Tart was long gone.

We all sat as we waited for Grandpa. The urge to whine was too strong but I pinched myself every time.

"Mom?" Mom got to the whining before me. "No," Grandma immediately dismissed her. "We're starving," Mom complained.

"We're waiting for your father," Grandma stated. "But we've been waiting forever," Mom pointed out.

"We have not been waiting forever," Grandma corrected her. "When we gather as a family, we eat as a family. We do not eat in shifts."

"When did he get that antique car?" Rory asked her. "A couple of horrible weeks ago," Grandma grumbled. "So, no more oil painting?" I wondered. "He lost interest," Grandma answered me.

Grandpa finally walked in, with a mechanic's suit on him, with a little grease. "You haven't started?!" he asked, shocked.

"Of course not!" Grandma cried out. "We were waiting for you, I thought you were almost done?"

"Well, I was but the car decided to spray me with a green liquid," he explained. "Ew," I grimaced.

"Ew indeed," he agreed. "Go ahead, start, don't wait up."

"Okay," Mom said happily, starting to help herself.

"Stop!" Grandma ordered. "We are waiting for you Richard, in thirty five years, I have never ever started a dinner without you unless you were away or ill, go upstairs and get ready. Elsa! Keep everything warm!"

"I'll be right back," Grandpa sighed. "Right back, right? Change on the way upstairs!" Mom called after him.

***

We walked into Luke's in the morning for breakfast. "Anywhere?" Mom asked Luke. He just nodded and Mom walked over to a teenager. "Can you move?"

"Where there isn't any people," Luke clarified. "I was kidding!" Mom exclaimed as we sat down. She looked around and frowned. "Something's not right."

She pointed over at the chalkboard over the doorway. "Luke's Special Omelette! That's new," she laughed. "What about the French toast?" I pouted. "What can I get you?" Luke asked.

"You have a new special," Mom smirked. "I do," Luke mumbled. "But you're not gonna like it."

"And you know this how?" Mom tested him. "Because you've come here for years, I know what you like and don't like," Luke told her.

"Just tell me," Mom said. "Three eggs with bacon, cubed tomatoes, Swiss cheese and a dash of oregano," he said.

"Okay, that," Mom ordered. "With a side of bacon, not in the omelette, Jack cheese instead of Swiss, hold the oregano and the tomatoes and coffee."

"You did this on purpose," Luke rolled his eyes. "French toast please," Rory said. "Pancakes with maple," I piped up.

He walked away and the two of us turned to Mom. "And you call me evil," I giggled.

"But look at the handwriting," Mom laughed. "He worked so hard on that sign."

"It's not his handwriting," I told her. "It's Jess' handwriting."

"You would know," Rory giggled. I delivered a swift kick under the table and my foot connected with Rory's shin and she winced.

"Evil," she hissed at me. I heard the diner door open and I looked to see Dean. "You never told me you were inviting your boyfriend," I whispered to Rory. "Hey," Dean smiled at her and pecked her on the lips. "What are you doing here?" Rory asked him. "Coming to say hello," he said.