🎬56🎬

"These?" I asked Rory, holding up the travel books. "Perfect," she smiled. I ran to the counter and paid up. "Last one to Grandma and Grandpa's has to pay for breakfast tomorrow morning!"

I dashed out of the store. "You are evil!" Rory yelled after me. I ran all the way the Grandma and Grandpa's and I barrelled in through the door.

"Hello, Heather, why are you out of breath?" Grandma asked me. Rory came in ten seconds later. "You two had a race," Mom assumed. "No fair, she had a head start," Rory pouted. "I'm faster in general," I smirked.

"What are those books?" Grandpa motioned to the bag. "Guides for our big summer trip to Europe," Rory told him.

"Everything to know about backpacking and staying in hostels," I smiled.

"Who's backpacking and staying in hostels?" Grandpa raised his eyebrow.

"We are," Mom told him. He and Grandma suddenly started laughing.

"No, you're not," Grandma laughed. "We are," Rory frowned. "We're not kidding," I piped up.

"It's not safe, I forbid it," Grandpa stated. "We wanna be spontaneous," Rory told him. "It's gonna be fun."

"What will people think?" Grandma gasped.

Mom spent the next twenty minutes rolling her eyes. Rory gave me a hopeful look. "I won, you're paying."

"Evil," Rory grumbled.

***

I sat at the counter in Luke's, doing a word search. "You know, I could help you," Jess offered. "Dangerous move, suicidal in fact," I warned him.

"You really don't let anyone help you at newspaper puzzles?" Jess raised his eyebrow. "Nope and I threaten to stick various things either in eyes or where the sun don't shine," I murmured, chewing on my pen.

"And what is my object then?" Jess asked me. I looked around. "The pepper shaker."

"Really?"

"Luke's is a chair if that makes you feel better," I smirked. "I can upgrade to a table if you really want me to."

"I'll pass," he muttered.

Dean walked into the diner with a notepad. "Please don't stick any spoons in me," he joked. "Good, you're learning," I smirked. "How's construction going?"

"Have to place an order," he muttered. "Good luck," I said in a sing song tone.

I looked between the boys. "No fighting or I'll upgrade you to the timber out there and you to the frying oil," I warned the boys.

"Fine," Jess rolled his eyes. "What do you want?"

"Six burgers, three with cheese, two cheddar, one Swiss, two plain....your memory is that good?" Dean said to him

"Heather, he's screwing with me," Jess complained. "Just oblige," I muttered, not really paying attention.

Jess rolled his eyes and took out a notepad. "Okay, six burgers, three with cheese, two cheddar, one Swiss, two plain burgers, one chilli burger with cheese and onions on the side, three ham on ryes, one mayo, one mustard, one combo, that's a.."

"I know what a combo is," Jess grumbled. "Sorry, you just looked confused," Dean shrugged. "Wanna take this outside?!" Jess was starting to get pissed.

I cleared my throat loudly, reminding him I was less than six feet away. "Four hot dogs," Dean continued. "Two egg salads on white, one chicken salad on wheat, a chef's salad with ranch, five fries, five onion rings, two chips, extra pickles."