𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

SELENA GOMEZ - SAME OLD LOVEᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

Chapter Eight

Manipulate me

Few months later...

What is the point of living if all we do is suffer and eventually die? There will never be a happily ever after.

I had no idea that being an adult could be so difficult.

I was so happy to finally have my privacy, my own house, to drink and to have fun that I didn't consider what I would end up putting myself through.

I was fired from my work because I was inactive, and because of my mental health, I needed to take a break and focus on school. My mother is not improving, and I am unable to pay for the treatment she needs.

All I do now is remain in bed all day, all week, doing nothing. I'm at a loss on what to do anymore. I'm out of motivation.

But I can't give up because if I did, no one would look after my mother except me.

These days have been weird too. No letters and no flowers from my stalker.

I guess he's gone for good. It was what I wanted.

Right?

"Sollana?" Asteria remarked, jolting me out of my trance. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You haven't touched your food at all, and you've been quiet the whole time." Guilt rushed through my veins as I gazed down at my plate of food.

I thought I was doing better.

"I'm just not hungry." I shrug, fiddling with my fork on the meal. Asteria and Nora had observed that I wasn't doing well lately. So they brought me out to try to change my thinking, but it wasn't really working. I didn't want to go out.

"Sollana, please talk to us," Nora murmured, and I looked at both of them with a troubled expression on their faces before I exhaled a breath.

"I just don't know what to do anymore, my Mom is dying and if don't help her I would feel like all this is my fault."

"It isn't your fault. Everyone has their own struggle that makes us feel as if the world is ending, yet there is always a way out of our issues, just as every route has an exit. You'll either have to drive a long distance or it'll be right in front of your eyes." I fiddled with the hem of my hoodie and considered what she had said.

"But what path? There's none."

"What if you work where I work?" Asteria offered.

"The bookstore?"