THREE

I walked into my office, hanging up my coat and throwing on my jacket. I was freezing, so I was wearing a turtleneck under my scrubs today.

I heard a quick knock on my door. "Come in."

"Dr. Lingsley. Glad you're here. I need you to sign this for Nick Fury."

"What is it?" I asked.

Steve Rogers was in and he looked fired up as ever. It was six am. He should not be this up and at it.

"A contract stating you and I have to get along."

I saw his name signed. I skimmed the paper as I sat down at my desk. He was right.

"What's going on, we in time out?"

"No. I just don't do well with new people."

"But you need the help? Huh. Sounds like a skill issue on your end."

"Oh you are something else. You know what, maybe you should take that paper and-"

"I'm gonna stop you right there Doc. You signed this contract. So you have to be nice to me." I said and smiled. "Now, we didn't properly meet the other day. So, my name is Noa Lingsley." I said. I held out my hand. He reluctantly shook it.

"Steve Rogers."

"Thanks Steve."

I quietly signed his paper. He sighed.

"So. You from New York?"

"No. New Jersey. You?"

"Mhm. Brooklyn."

I nodded, giving him his paper. "Well, I've got work to do."

"Hey, just so you know this floor goes on an hour break from noon to one. The other floors downstairs take over and it rotates with each floor. Anyways if you want to come hang out with us on break-"

"-So you were a dick to me yesterday but now you're trying to be nice? I'm good. Thanks though."

I walked out, going to pick up my first patient.

———

I sat in my office while everyone was on break. I still didn't feel great after the talk I had with Colton the night before.

Our divorce was finalized two months ago. That was it. And now he's dating someone and taking her around the kid?

I only had a protein bar packed. I knew I should at least go buy something with caffeine. I got up, going to get some coffee.

I walked out of my office and went to the break room to make some. I knew that everyone ate in the meeting room.

Once I was done, I went back to my office. But down the hall came the clan of everyone. They all seemed like very close friends.

I went back to my office, but heard a voice.

"Lingsley! Hey, why don't you come eat with us?"

It was Natasha. I gave her a little smile. Steve walked over, leaning against the doorway.

"Wanna know why Natasha? Cause she doesn't like me."

I didn't say anything. "You all seem very close, and I won't interfere."

I glanced over at Steve. He was playing with a wedding ring on his finger while giving me a smirk.

So married. Hmm. Okay.

"You wouldn't interfere at all. And we still have like forty minutes left of break. Come hang out."

"I really shouldn't. Besides I have paperwork to do."