FORTY-THREE

2 years later

"Ashton! Come on bub." I said. He raced into the kitchen, climbing up to sit at the island. I handed him his breakfast.

"Where's Steve?"

"Getting Harper." I said before taking a sip of my water. Steve came in with our daughter.

"Good morning." I said to her. She giggled. Steve put her in her high chair. I handed her the cut up pieces of pancakes.

"Steve did you do Harpie's hair?"

"Uhhh yup."

"Hmmm."

I laughed. Steve gave me a look.

"I did the thing with the bows." Steve whined.

"No it's cute I promise." I said. He sighed.

"Really cute." Ashton said sarcastically. So it was a little messy but he tried.

"Maybe I'll just pick out the outfits." Steve said.

"Maybe you take over getting ready for bed." I whispered. He smiled.

"That bad?"

"You're a really good helper."

He chuckled, kissing my cheek.

"Thanks."

I went over, fixing my daughters hair while she ate. Steve took a sip of his coffee, going for pancakes.

I kissed Harpers head, going to kiss Ashton's as well.

I had gone down to working twice a week. Steve was more than okay with it. I stayed home with our Harper and Ashton. Ash stayed with me on the weekdays in the summer.

"Okay. So agenda for the day is getting some reading in Ash. Steve's gotta go to work but after that I say we watch a movie tonight."

"Okay!" He said. I smiled.

"Speaking of work, I gotta go. I love you." He said, pecking my lips.

"I love you too." I said.

And I really did.

———

Steve helped me wash dishes after dinner. He was dancing around the room to music. This was our norm.

He came over, hugging me from behind as I finished up cleaning the counter. I smiled.

"Hey gorgeous, so uhh....I think we should go on a date soon."

"That sounds nice. Was the one last week not good enough?"

"I just want to get you out of the house for more than just work."

"How did I marry you? Are you real?"

He chuckled. "Very real. Just trying tanner a good husband."

I smiled. "I love you."

"Love you too." He said. We heard little waddles. Harper came over.

"You just know that it's bedtime soon huh?"

"Up." She said.

I got out of Steve's grasp to pick her up. "You wanna take her or should I?"

"Well I get bedtime now. You go pick a movie with Ash."

"Okay."

I went to the living room, sitting down next to my son.

"What should we watch?" I asked.

"Something funny."

"Got it." I said.

Steve came in a few minutes later. He picked Ashton up, setting him on his lap. Even though he was almost eight, he was still my little boy.

I snuggled in with Steve. He kissed my head. Ashton laid down on both Steve and I's lap.

I couldn't stop thinking over the last two years about how I came to New York hating my life. Nothing was going right. And now, I had a husband, another kid, a happy son. I had everything I wanted.

Ashton looked up at me. I smiled at him, petting his soft hair.

"Love you mama."

"Love you too baby."

I had so much more love. Him. Steve. Harper. My life. My job.

I was so happy to finally be filled with love. I was happy to give all of it too.

I was happy to be happy.

The end.

Thank you all for the love on this story! I loved writing it just as much as I hope you all loved reading it!

-g