NINE

I woke up to the feeling of a cold draft coming in. I groaned, waiting to feel Steve by my side. But the bed was empty.

I looked around, seeing my bedroom door open. All of his clothes were gone, and mine were folded at the end of the bed.

I sat up, going to grab a sweatshirt and pajama pants from my closet. I threw them on before walking out.

No one was home. There were no dishes in the sink. No tv on.

He had left. Why?

I went back into my bedroom and grabbed my phone. Only a text from Colton.

I decided to open up our texts.

Me: everything good? I didn't think you would leave

I saw that he was typing. But it stopped.

I stayed there for a minute, waiting for a text to come through.

Did I do something wrong? Was last night too fast?

I took a deep breath, laying back on the bed. I didn't mean to do anything bad. What if I just ruined one of my only friendships here? Just because I had a crush?

I sat there for a very long time, thinking about last night.

It just felt so natural. The way he knew how to make me feel comfortable around him. His eyes, his lips, his hands.

I just wanted one thing in my life to go well. And it didn't. And now, I have an ex husband that hates me, a kid that I can't even talk to, a first date with my work partner that went awful, and getting ghosted.

Yay.

I got up to take a plan b before turning on the shower. I stared at myself in the mirror.

Only a couple of hickeys. My makeup was a little smudged. The usual after a night like that.

I took off my clothes and got into the shower. I just needed to wash the night off. Get into my little routine. Everything was fine.

I think.

———

I walked into work two days later. I went straight into my office and clocked in. Natasha came in after a minute or two.

"Good morning Doc." She said.

"Good morning," I said. I looked over some files that were set on my desk.

"How was your weekend?"

"It was good " I lied.

She sat back in the chair in front of me.

"How was Steve?"

"What?"

"Bucky told me cause Steve called him."

I took a deep breath. "Steve doesn't wanna talk to me. So there's that."

"What?"

I kinda spent the whole weekend crying. The first time in so long that a man gave me attention and now it's out the window. I was so stupid for getting attached so quickly. But I couldn't help myself.

"Yeah. He seemed upset on the phone."

"He should be. He left without warning and didn't answer my texts."

"He ghosted you?"

I nodded. "I don't know what I did wrong." I whispered. I bit the inside of my cheek.

I heard the door burst open. There stood Steve.

"Hey.."

"Fucking knock for once." I said as I grabbed my first patient file, walking out.

I didn't wanna even look at him. He was such an asshole. He didn't deserve to speak to me.

I walked into my patients room, basically on autopilot mode. I wasn't even there. I shouldn't have ever thought that it was a good idea to fuck my partner at work because now I'm pissed at him and he's pissed at me.

I just wanted to go home. And close myself off from the world for a very long time.