TWENTY-EIGHT

"Hey." I said as I picked up Ashton at a gas station. Colton got out, hugging me.

"Hi mommy. Where's Steve?" Ashton said. I kissed his head.

"Working. Gosh I see where your priorities are." I said. Colton smiled. He looked exhausted.

"How's the baby?"

Colton had a new baby boy at home. His name was Dylan.

"He's good. He stays up a lot but yeah. All good."

"Good. Well mister, have you eaten?"

He shook his head no. Colton sighed.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I'll go stop somewhere."

"Okay. You be good for mom. See you Sunday."

"Bye daddy." He said. He went over. Colton bent down to hug him.

"Okay. Go get in the car." I said to Ashton. I glanced at Cole.

"What's wrong?"

"Mm. Nothing." He said softly. He played with his hands.

"Colton."

"I don't think I can marry her. I thought I knew what I wanted and I don't. But I also wanna stay and help while the baby is still a newborn but I just don't know what to do."

I shrugged. "It's up to you."

I really didn't have sympathy. I knew I should. But I just couldn't. He was the one who decided to do this so fast. He had her move in, proposed, didn't use protection. That's on him.

"Why are you being cold?"

"I have run out of sympathy Cole. I have tried to show you numerous times that she is not right for you, and you didn't listen to that. So I am sorry."

He nodded. "Yeah. I just wanted someone to talk to."

"I don't know if your ex wife should be the one for that."

He nodded.

"Okay. I'm gonna go home then."

I sighed. "Uhh. Steve is gonna be home soon. I could have him call you while you drive home."

"So you won't talk to me but you'll have your boyfriend do it?"

"Well you two seem to get along."

"I just...I used to confide in you about everything."

"Because that's what married people do."

"Why can't we just be friends now though?"

"You ended that! You belittled me to a point where I was starting to believe that everything you said was true. You treated me like shit. And your baby mama does it worse so don't even try to think that we can magically be friends again."

"I've apologized."

"You are my co parent. That's our relationship. I wanna look out for our loving little boy that has been put through hell because of us."

"He has not been put through hell."

"Think back to when you kicked a five year old out of the house on Halloween cause he wanted routine."

"Okay. I was pissed."

"You have a problem. And your fiancé has ruined you. And I will continue to say that to you. I will not give you any relationship advice. You wanna know what I have to say? You were desperate and she is hot. You were stupid for moving too fast because...hot take, you were still into me."

"Oh my god. That's petty."

"I still loved you then. So I know you loved me."

"Now I'm just pissed. Have a great time with Ashton."

"Oh I will."

I walked over to my car, getting in. Ashton looked at me through the mirror. He was buckled up in his car seat.

"Why are you and daddy fighting?" Ashton asked.

"I don't know."

———

I walked into my apartment with Ashton. He ran in.

"Hello New York!" He said as he looked out the window. I smiled. I heard someone come out of the bedroom.

"Hi." Steve said. He came over, kissing me. He was still in his scrubs.

"Hey." I said. "Someone's gonna be excited. Ashy."

He turned around and gasped. "Steve!"

Steve picked him up, hugging him. "Hi buddy."

I smiled, watching Ashton put his head down. He snuggled into Steve.

"You smell good." Ashton said. I giggled.

"Thank you." Steve chuckled. I rubbed Steve's back, watching my son.

"Let Steve go get out of his icky hospital clothes and then we will watch a movie. Did you eat babe?"

"Yeah." He said. I nodded.

I took Ashton while Steve went to change. "You want jammies on?"

"Yes." He said. We went to his room and got him changed. I came out, seeing Steve on the couch.

Ashton ran over, getting right onto his lap. I sat down next to him. We turned on his current obsession, Tangled. He was a little tangled boy.

He got up to start singing. I glanced at Steve.

"How was work?" I asked.

"Mm. The usual. It's weird not having you there."

"I'm sorry."

"No. I understand why you took the half day and you know that. How was pick up?"

I sighed. "Another fight."

"Noa."

"Yeah. I know. But it's fine."

Steve rested back a bit. I curled up, putting a blanket over myself. He chuckled as he watched Ash dance around the room.

"He is so you." 

I smiled to myself. I held Steve's arm as I watched him.

"I think that I would have another kid just so that I could say that they were just like you." I whispered. He pulled me in.

"You're gonna make a grown man cry."

I smiled, pecking his lips. He took a deep breath.

"Do you actually mean that? I mean we're both hitting an age."

"I'll think about it. I mean the first one turned out good."

"Let's wait until we settle down."

"Deal."

Steve was the one for me. Even if I told him to wait to propose, I think I'd say yes right now. Because I know that I waited and worked on myself first. And I know I'm working on it still. But my life is him. I want my future to be with Steve Rogers.