THIRTY

"Hey Ma! We're here!" Steve said as he walked in. His New York accent really popped out when he said it.

I walked in with him. He smiled and hugged his mom. I was so nervous.

Steve pulled away and looked at me.

"Mom meet my girlfriend, Noa."

"Hi Mrs. Rogers."

"Hi darling. My you're beautiful. You are a little angel from heaven."

"Thank you." I said. I knew I was blushing. Way too hard.

"Isn't she?" Steve said. Mrs. Rogers smiled at me.

"Come in come in. I've made food."

"Oh I told her that she had to come with an empty stomach. I knew you would cook."

I walked into the house. It smelled so warm. There were pictures everywhere. Little plants were scattered. This seemed so comforting. I could stay here forever.

"You get home cooked meals often honey?" She asked.

"Not really. With work and everything." I said.

"Steve tells me you have a son. How old is he?"

"He just turned six. Ashton is his name."

"Do you like being a mom?" She asked. Steve poured us some wine. I sat at the island with him.

"Yes. I love it. He's still in New Jersey though so I don't see him as often."

"Steve showed me some pictures of you and him. He's adorable. Looks just like you."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"You nervous honey?"

Steve rubbed my back. I smiled.

"Maybe a little. First parent meets are always a little scary. I wanna make a good first impression."

"Oh please. I always know if a girl is good by the way that she is nervous. That means she cares."

"You've had that many come around?" I asked as I nudged Steve.

"Only a few. That last one you had was not nervous and you married her after I told you not to. Mother knows best."

"So what do you think about this one Ma?"

"I already know she's good. We're you married before? Actually don't answer that if you don't wanna."

"I was, yeah. And it was fine. But it wasn't Steve and I. It was forced and rushed. All I can say is that you have raised an amazing son. Parents have an effect on how their kids turn out and you did an amazing job."

"Oh please. He made that handsome personality on his own." She said. Steve blushed.

"Thanks. Now I got two ladies telling me how nice I am."

"So Stevie, did you come here to have Noa meet me because you're a traditional man just like your father taught you, and next week propose to her?"

"Mom!"

I smirked. "Yeah." I mumbled.

"Well I mean you didn't need my permission and your father is dead so...no worries there. But if you were both already married and know the ropes just do it."

"Yeah. He's gotta meet my parents first."

"Do you two want kids?"

"Ma!"

"Yes. It's just with work and all. And I'm thirty."

"You'll figure it out. Not to be biased, but I need a grandkid."

I laughed. "Well when you put it that way..."

Steve blushed. "You taught me to use protection and be safe. So I am."

Lies. I could get pregnant at any moment.

"Good. Well, let's eat."

———

Steve and I both got pulled into big hugs.

"Thank you again Mrs. Rogers."

"Come over anytime. I can show you pictures of Stevie as a kid."

"Oh I'd love to see those." I said. He smirked.

"Bye mom. Love you. Call me." He said. He kissed his moms cheek.

"Love you too sweetheart. See you both later. Mwah."

We both walked out, going to the car.

"That was really nice." I said.

"Yeah. So that's my lovely mother."

"We're gonna get along." I said. "She's really sweet."

"She really knows how to overstep her boundaries."

I smiled. "I like that. She's not afraid to speak her mind."

"Yeah. Well I mean we can stay sometimes too. I come here when I'm bored and I just need a night."

"That's so sweet."

"Yeah. Well..Glad you like her. But those baby pictures, you cannot show anyone."

"Your birthday is coming. I bet the floor at work would love those."

"Noa Lingsley."

"Love you." I whispered. And I really did. And we were one step closer to getting married. And that made me really, really happy.