TWENTY-TWO

I walked into Steve's house after a very long day. He followed behind me. I threw my shoes off.

"Holy shit." He whispered. I smiled at him.

"What a day."

I sat down on his couch after taking my shoes off. He followed, resting his body on mine. I giggled as he used my body as his mattress.

Steve slid his shoes off as he turned on the tv.

I grabbed a blanket that was draped on the couch, pulling it over us.

Steve set his head on my shoulder more. I kissed his forehead.

Within maybe five minutes he was asleep. We both had not only a day, but a week.

My phone buzzed just as I started relaxing. I picked it up, seeing that Colton was calling me.

"Hello?"

"Did you just wake up?"

"No I just got off work. Sorry."

Steve shifted. I knew he was awake again.

"You're okay. Hey so I have a big favor to ask. It's been a lot with trying to get everything ready for the baby and handling the kids as well. Lola is going to her dads this weekend so I'm wondering if you maybe wanna take Ashton? I can bring him all the way over tonight."

"That's totally fine but I am at Steve's."

"You staying over there?"

"Ashton can come over." Steve mumbled.

"Yeah but Steve said Ashton can come over. It's only about twenty minutes farther from mine if you're good with that."

"Ashy! You're going to steves! Yeah just send me the address. I'll see you in a bit."

"Okay. Bye."

———

Ashton came into Steve's with his dad. I picked him up as he ran in.

"Hey bub."

"Hi!"

Colton came inside with his little bag. "Thank you. I'm sorry for the short notice."

"It's no problem." I said. Ashton gazed around the house.

"Holy amaze balls." He said. I giggled.

Steve came in, shaking Colton's hand. "How's it going man?"

"Pretty good. Your place is incredible."

"Thank you." He said. I smiled.

Colton gave me a little smirk. I glanced at Ashton, who had rested his head on my shoulder.

"Tired?"

"He didn't sleep in the car. Here is his stuff."

"Thank you. Was the pretty New York scene so pretty that you couldn't sleep?"

"No daddy gets mad in the car when he's driving here."

"Ha! Yeah this place is crazy."

"Yes it is." Cole said and yawned.

"Hey man do you want like a mug of coffee or something for the drive home?" Steve asked.

"Yeah that actually sounds great."

I moved for him to walk in. I shut Steve's door before walking to the couch. Ashton snuggled into me. I smiled, hugging him close.

"How is school going?"