FOURTEEN

Steve and I got out of the car. My old house. The one that I'm still paying all the bills on. Love it.

I walked up to the front. Everyone was taking photos. Steve and I didn't dress up.

"Mommy! And Prince Charming!" Ashton said as he threw his goofy ears off and ran over. I picked him up and hugged him.

"Hey Goofy." I said.

"Wait...why aren't you two dressed up. I still wanted to be astronauts."

"Well you're looking so cute in this. You don't need an astronaut costume." I said. Colton came over and put the goofy ears back on. I smiled.

"See. And your little dog nose? You're so cute."

He had tears in his eyes as he looked at Colton. "It hurts my head. I don't like it."

"You're gonna wear it." Colton said. He glanced at Steve.

"Steve Rogers. Nice to meet you." Steve said as he held out his hand. Colton barely even looked at him.

"Shake his hand daddy!" Ashton yelled.

"Hey. No yelling." I said. Colton walked away. Ashton squirmed in my arms.

"I really do hate Halloween mommy. That's the word for it." He said as he threw his ears off and ran inside. I sighed, following him.

"Ashton." I said. Colton and Steve came in. Lola and Sarah followed.

"Don't fucking go in there Noa. You're fucking ruining him by fucking with his schedule."

"Maybe it's your fault. You have a whole fucking family in here."

"Oh fuck you Noa."

"Hey. Woah.." Steve said. He looked at me, cocking his head for me to go check on him.

I walked away. I knew Colton was yelling at him but I needed to make sure he was okay.

I found Ashton sobbing in his room.

"Hey baby."

He sobbed harder. I took off my shoes and got into bed with him, resting him on my chest. He sniffled, letting me rub his back.

"I want to go live with you and mister Steve."

"Well Steve doesn't live with me like Sarah does here. But I want you to be with me too. I'm trying buddy. And I'm sorry for letting it happen where you only lived at dads. I want to see you so much more."

"Weekends?"

"Working on it."

"Okay." He sniffled. I heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?"

"Steve."

"Is he okay to come in?" I asked Ashton. He nodded. "Come in."

Steve came in and sat down on the floor. I smiled at him. Ashton was taking deep breaths.

"Can you stay tonight?" Ashton asked.

"I'm sorry honey. We're going back home. Dad said."

"Okay." He said, starting to cry again. I played with his soft blonde hair. He was so upset.

"Is there anything else bothering you?" I asked.

"Sarah's not nice to me. She said that if I didn't wear this outfit today that she would take away all my candy from tonight and I would never go trick or treating again. And she...she grabs my wrists really hard and yells in my face. I try to explain my feelings to her but she won't let me. I tried to do what you taught me." He said.

"Ashton! Let's go!" Colton said. He barged open the door. "Oh for fucks sake stop trying to make him feel better for his mistake."

"He didn't even do anything." I said.

"You should just take him with you after this. Fucking had it with him."

Ashton sobbed more. I sighed.

"I will fucking take him if you won't stop screaming at him. What Cole? You like your not-so-stepdaughter more?"

"Take him. Leave. Bye."

"Are you serious? I mean he's in school. He's got kindergarten."

"I'll pick him up on Sunday. And then he will realize that mommy has no time for him just like I fucking said. That will show him. He wants to go with you so bad? Bye. Pack him a bag."

Colton shut the door. Ashton was still crying on me. "Please take me home with you. Please. Please mommy."

"Okay...it's okay." I whispered. I looked over at Steve. He shrugged.

I sighed, sitting up with him. "I'll take you home. It's okay."

———

Ashton was in the back of the car, eating a few pieces of candy. We took him out trick or treating at a few places before leaving.

"Hey. Don't eat too much of it. We're gonna stop for food." I said as I drove. I was fucking pissed. I didn't know what to do. Was this against our court order?

"Hey. I can drive if you need."

"I'm fine."

I knew I had tears in my eyes. I was so frustrated with what was happening.

I pulled into a random diner. Steve got out with me. I grabbed Ashton from his seat.

"Mommy. You okay?" Ashton asked.

"Mhm. Hey I'm gonna get you some food."

"Kids meal."

"Yeah exactly."

I grabbed his hand and walked with him. Steve was on my other side.

I glanced at him. He rubbed my back as we went into the restaurant.

"You good?" He asked.

"Mhm." I said.

I was gonna be okay.

———

Steve and I got back to my place. I had a sleepy Ashton in my arms while holding his stuff. I was trying to open my door.

"Here." Steve said as he took Ashton. I smiled as Ash curled up in his arms more.

I opened the door to my apartment, exhausted. I already had the day off tomorrow. Steve did too. We had someone filling in for us at work.

I put Ashton's stuff in his room. I came back, seeing Steve laying on the couch with my sleeping son.

"You want me to take him?" I whispered.

"Not really." He said and smiled. I smirked and laid back with him, resting my head on his shoulder. I wrapped a blanket over the both of us.

"I'm so sorry for today."

"I don't care at all." He said. "You're okay. That's what matters."

I nodded. "I think my son likes you Prince Charming."

"I like him too. And look, take off the rest of the week. It's fine."

"I can't do that to you."

"Then take half days."

I nodded. "Thank you so much for everything."

"Of course."