SEVEN

Dr. Rogers

I walked into my office at eleven. I was so tired.

"Noa." I whispered. She groaned.

"Fuck. Hey.."

She sat up, holding the blankets close to her. I smiled, taking off my shoes and jacket. I wasn't just tired at this point. I was exhausted.

I plopped down into the bed. Noa handed me the blankets.

"Thanks."

"Mhm."

"Hey, about earlier.."

"I'm so sorry. I don't wanna make excuses, but I'm so touch deprived."

"No I feel the same exact way. I'm glad we're on the same page. And I...I don't know. Maybe I'm overthinking this and I'm being too much. But Nat and Bucky are trying to get me out. Would you maybe wanna...I don't know. Try to go out on a date?"

Oh that went so bad.

She smiled, putting her jacket on. "You really wanna date your work partner?"

"A very friendly date."

"I'll think about it."

I smiled. They were right. I did need to get out. And why not do it with someone I'm comfortable with?

She sat down on the bed to put her shoes on.

"It also depends on where you would take me."

I smiled, resting my arm behind my head. "Dinner and a nice walk through Central Park?"  

"Such a romantic." She mumbled.

I smiled. "What can I say?"

She sighed, moving to glance at me. "If I say yes, which I'm not yet...you have to promise me something. We just started getting on good terms with our work relationship. That can't end. So if something goes south, promise me we keep a good work relationship."

"Promise."

"Okay. Well, I think I'd be open to a date."

"Maybe Nat and Buck can shut up now."

She smiled. "But I have a very personal question to ask."

"Mhm."

"What's your status with Peggy? Like do you still have feelings or anything?"

"I don't think so. I mean I think I'm still getting over the fact that she isn't my wife- or won't be. But I think the connection is gone. How are you feeling?"

"I think I'm in the same boat."

"Well there you go."

"Hey, thanks for taking my shift again. Seriously, I can't imagine what I would do without you."

She smirked. "It's no problem. When do you want me to wake you up."

"Uhh two probably."

"Okay. I'll see you later." She whispered. She gave me a little smile. God even for just waking up she was pretty.

She left the room. I took a deep breath.

I really couldn't do it without her.

———

I woke up to Noa opening the blinds. I took a deep breath, resting my back on the bed.

"Hey. You okay?" She asked. I nodded, rubbing my eyes.

I sat up, stretching. Noa was sipping on another energy drink. I smirked.

"Still tired?"

"I'm gonna sleep so good this weekend." She said. I smiled.

"Mhm. Hey, thanks again."

"No problem."

"Okay. I have to run home and change. And then I'm off to court."

"Did you know that I live in the same neighborhood as Bucky and Nat."

"I actually didn't until today. But hey, if you ever feel lonely walking to the subway I'll catch up."

"Thanks. That actually sounds nice. People are fucking nuts on that thing." She said. I laughed.

"Yes they are. Here, let's exchange numbers." I said as I grabbed my phone. She sat down next to me on the bed.

"You're getting real comfy with me Rogers."

"Keep this professional Lingsley."

"Can I use this number whenever?"

"Let's see how that first date goes. Then I'll think about it."

———

I sat in the meeting room, half asleep while my lawyer talked with Peggy's. We were on custody of the car. I didn't care about it. I took the subway everyday anyways.

Peggy locked eyes with me for a second. She gave me a weird look. Like she was worried about me. I sat up a bit.

"Alright. So then it's settled I guess. If she gets the car, he gets the penthouse."

I sat up a little more. Peggy looked at her lawyer.

"Fine."

I glanced at Peggy again. She cleared her throat.

"Well, let us get this in writing. If you two wanna leave, feel free."

I stood up, walking out of the room. Peggy followed.

"Steve. Wait...are you alright?"

I met Peggy while she was lost in Central Park. She was on vacation here from England.

"I'm fine. I just worked a double shift yesterday. Feel free to stay at the house to pack things up as long as you need. I can stay at Buckys for a long time."

"Can we...talk? Go out for coffee or something?"

"No. I actually have some things to do tonight and I'd like to go relieve my partner at work because she's still there until seven."

She nodded. "So I guess this is it then? No more of us."

"That ended a few months ago." I said. "I'll see you later."

———

I came into my office. It was all tidied up. No bed out anymore or anything.

I took off my suit coat and put my doctors coat on. I didn't even bother to put my scrubs back on.

I grabbed my stethoscope and my ID, before heading out.

I found Noa walking out of a room. "Hi." She said. "How'd everything go?"

"It was good. Normal stuff. I get my penthouse back soon."

"So things went pretty well I take it."

"Yep."

She smiled at me. "You wanna get some work done?"

"Sure."

"Here's the file. Work your magic Doc."