THIRTY-SEVEN

"You're sure you're okay to come back home with me."

Ashton nodded, holding his stuffy. I glanced at Colton.

It had been a week since he got out of the hospital. He had stayed in for pretty much a week as well. Colton requested I stay to help him. It was awkward, but I was gonna put my son first.

"If he says he's okay, then I'm all good with it too."

I nodded, rubbing my sons head. I moved to hug Colton.

"Thank you for helping with everything."

"Thank you for being here."

"Okay. Ashy I love you. Be good for mama and Steve."

"Okay." He said. He was tired. He gave his dad a hug.

"Bye you two. Drive safe."

"Of course." I said. Ashton walked out with me. He got into the car, buckling up. I got in the drivers seat. I stared at him through the mirror.

"You all good?"

"Just get to your house nicely."

I nodded.

———

"Steve?"

"Hey." He said. He was in my house already. He came over and hugged me tight. Ashton was by my legs. Steve picked him up, hugging him. He giggled lightly.

"Hey buddy."

"Hi." He said. I smiled. Steve pecked my lips. He gave me a little smile.

'You okay?' He mouthed. I nodded, rubbing his arm. He glanced at Ashton, who was nuzzled into his neck.

"You sleep at all?" Steve asked Ashton.

"Not really." Ashton whispered. I nodded.

"Bedtime? You want food?" I asked. He sighed and looked at me.

"I just wanna be held." He said. I nodded, going with Steve to the couch. He laid with Steve and I.

I snuggled up with Steve. He put his arm around me. Ashton got close with me.

I waited for a while until he was fast asleep. I carefully picked him up, bringing him to his room. Once I got him tucked in, I went back to Steve.

My emotions were high. I had held a lot in. And I just needed a hug.

I went to the couch, sitting down. Steve got me closer with one sweep. I glanced at him.

"You doing okay?"

"I don't know. Sorta."

He pulled me into a kiss. I set my hand on his cheek, kissing him back.

"You need sleep. Let's get some rest."

I nodded, getting up. I felt tears settling in. I don't even know why.

I think it was just the first time that I was able to breathe. I knew Ashton was better. I was home. I had missed Steve so much it hurt.

"Hey....Noa."

He pulled me into a hug. I started crying as I was buried in his chest. He rubbed my back.

"I really missed you." I whispered.

"Oh trust me, I know the feeling."

———

Steve and I were in bed. He was spooning me, already asleep. I couldn't sleep. I was just waiting for a moment in which Ashton would wake up screaming.

I just stared out the window. I knew he would wake up.

And just as I thought, thirty minutes later he came in. I helped him up into bed. He laid his body on mine, cuddling in. I put his blanket over him, ready to relax.

Steve shifted, turning on his back. He was getting too warm in his sleep. He would do that a lot.

Ashton just quietly rested on me. He was starting to fall back asleep.

No talking. No screaming. He was just scared.

Eventually he fell asleep. I carefully got up, bringing him back. I kissed his head as I tucked him in.

"Mama?" He groggily asked.

"Hi baby."

"Just checking." He said. He snuggled up in his bed.

"Goodnight handsome."  

"Goodnight mommy." 

I went back to my room, getting in bed. Steve shifted again.

"Sorry." I whispered. I knew he worked in the morning and I kept waking him up.

"You're okay." He said. He threw his shirt off before getting close to me. He rested his head on my shoulder. I ran my fingers through his hair.

I closed my eyes for the first time that night. Steve's thumb caressed my waist.

"You need rest." He whispered.

"Working on it." I said. He lifted his head to kiss my neck. I smiled.

"Goodnight." I whispered.

"I love you Noa."

"I love you too."