EIGHTEEN

Steve walked into the room that I was in. A little boy had a huge gash in his arm that I was working on. He was struggling, and I had three nurses holding him down.

"Hey buddy. How's it going?"

"Not good."

"Do you like cartoons?" Steve asked as he sat down on the chair in the room, getting by him.

"Yeah." He said and sniffed. I smiled at Steve.

"Okay. Let's turn something on yeah? And then once we're done, I have ice cream, suckers, chocolate, or popsicles. What are you feeling?"

"Ice cream." He said as he wiped his tears.

"Alrighty little man. Doctor Lingsley here is super nice. That shot she has is gonna hurt the worst, and then you will not feel a thing."

"I'm nervous." He said.

"You want me to count down? Don't look." I said. "Count down to ten with me." I said.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six.."

I put in the shot as he continued counting. He sighed.

"All done?"

"Mhm. Rogers you wanna put some cartoons on?"

"Yes ma'am."

He turned some on. I carefully stitched him up while he watched cartoons. Steve talked with him the whole time.

"Okay. All done. Doctor, you wanna get him some ice cream."

"Chocolate, vanilla, or peanut butter big man?"

"Chocolate. Thanks Mr. Rogers."

I smiled. Steve left.

I smiled, finishing up. "Okay buddy. Doctor Rogers will come back in a second. Mrs. Dale, you need anything?"

That was his mom. She shook her head. "Thank you."

"Of course."

Steve came back in as I finished up paperwork. "Alright big guy. I've got your ice cream. Now be good for mom, and I'll see you later." Steve said.

"Bye bud." I said as I walked out with him. I turned in the paperwork and grabbed my next one. Steve came behind me and picked up a file.

"Whatcha doing tonight?" Steve asked.

"I am sitting in and watching a movie because I finally have a day off tomorrow."

"Why'd you take the day off?" He asked.

"Cause I can't stand to be around you." I joked. But in reality, it was my birthday. I just thought I deserved the day off.

"Really? Huh. So why'd you take it off?"

"I need a break. That's all."

"Something special coming up?"

"No."

"Someone's birthday?"

"I didn't tell you..."

"Yeah you did. We had talked about what day it was. I would've taken the day off with you. Now I feel bad."

"Please don't feel bad. I don't celebrate my birthday. I just take the day off to sleep in."

"Well I still got you stuff."

"No. Steve..."

"I'll see you later." He said.

I smiled, going to my next patient.