THIRTEEN

Me: sorry. Shits been crazy tonight. I was gonna text you. I fell asleep with Ashton.

Steve: you're all good. Everything okay? He looked like he had been crying on the phone

Me: just a lot of changes in his little world. I think I miss you

Steve: I'm drunk. You cannot tell me that.

Me: not drunk in the bachelor pad.

Steve: I miss you too Noa. You sure you're okay though?

Me: I will be. Get some sleep Doc

Steve: you too. Tell me about it when you can.

I heard a knock on the door.

"Yeah."

Colton opened the door. "Did you cancel that hotel booking?"

"No. Shit I can though."

"No. Send me the address. I'll pick him up tomorrow at four."

"Hey. I feel like we should talk quick."

"Don't show up to Halloween. Especially if you're bringing Prince Charming."

"First off, it would just be me. Second, I'm coming. I will be there for my son. I will quit my entire job to be there. And, if I'm meeting Sarah as your girlfriend for the first time, why would it matter if I brought Steve?"

"That's new."

"No it's not."

"Whatever. I'm done trying with you. So goodbye."

I heard the door close. I sent him the address.

I heard my phone buzz.

Steve: can't sleep.

Me: come over

Steve: no. No no no. Not with Ashton there. I don't want to interfere

Me: I promise you it's fine. Just leave early tomorrow morning. Colton just left cause he's pissed and I really want you here

Steve: I'll see you soon.

I sighed, getting up out of bed. I went to go clean up a bit. Ashton was fast asleep in his room.

Just as he said, a few minutes later and Steve was buzzing at my door. I opened it, letting him in.

"Are you okay?"

"I will be." I said softly. "It's been a night for sure."

"Let's go talk." He whispered. I nodded.

———

Steve and I sat in bed, just talking. He was so attentive. It was nice to just be heard.

After he was all caught up, he studied me, moving my hair behind my ear.

"So I'm coming to Halloween?"

I blushed. "If you could."

"Yeah but I need something from you."

"What's that?"

"Another date."

"You wanna take me out again?"

"Yeah."

"I'd like that." I said. He smiled, pulling me into a kiss.

Maybe it was okay if we dated. I don't see the harm. We're both adults, and if something goes wrong we go back to friends. Or I find a new job.

I heard a gasp. "Prince Charming!" I heard from the doorway. I looked over, seeing Ashton.

"Oh god. What are you doing out of bed?" I asked, hiding a laugh.

"Thirsty." He said as he came over and grabbed my water bottle. "Where's dad?"

"Uhhh dad left." I said. He gave me a sad look.

"He's so grumpy." He said as he climbed up into bed and sat on my lap. "Hi Prince Charming."

"Hey Ashton." Steve said. "Sorry for popping by unannounced."

"Oh that's okay. Mommy needs a friend to keep her company anyways. She's really lonely."

"Ashton!" I said and tickled him. "I am not lonely."

"She is Ashton." Steve said. I glanced at him, smiling.

Ashton giggled in my arms. I kissed his head.

"Alright bud. Go back to bed. I'll make you breakfast in the morning."

"Prince Charming you should stay for breakfast."

"I'll think about it." Steve said and smiled. Ash kissed my cheek before getting down.

"Love you bud."

"Love you too mommy." He said before closing my door.

"So that's my son."

"You two are identical it's insane."

"Really? I think he looks like Colton."

"Well I have yet to meet the bastard."

"Steve!" I whisper-yelled.

"What? I already can't stand him. But, I have more to talk about. First off, I'll join you for Halloween if it's gonna make you feel more comfortable there. Second, I think your son wants me to date you."

"I'm aware. It's nothing against you, because I would in a heartbeat. But is it a good idea for the both of us out of divorces so quickly?" I asked. I was propped up on my elbow.

Steve moved to kiss me. I smiled and melted down, letting him get on top of me a little.

"You wanna be my girlfriend Noa?" He asked. I blushed.

"Sure."

He smiled, kissing me again. This seemed quick. But I think that's okay. I already knew so much about him.

I pulled away after a few seconds. "Do I keep calling you Prince Charming?"

"You can call me whatever you want."