TWENTY-FOUR

"You're nervous I can tell." I said.

"Well maybe a bit. This is our first Ashton thing together."

"It's a kindergarten Christmas show. We will be fine." I said.

"And all as a group." He whispered.

"This is what Colton brought up so I think it's a good thing. And then you and I have a nice little hotel stay after."

"And I get you in that jacuzzi."

"Steven!" I sneered as we walked into the elementary school. He laughed.

We both walked to the auditorium. I found Colton and Sarah. We went over.

"Hey." Colton said as he stood up, hugging me. "The drive okay?"

I nodded. I gave Sarah a little smile. She gave me a fake one. I knew she didn't like me. But I really didn't care.

I watched Steve shake hands with Colton. They actually texted once in a while now, and had a fantasy football team. I thought it was nice.

Steve looked at Sarah. "Great to see you again."

She didn't say anything. I sat down. Colton was on one side of me, while Steve was on the other.

"What hotel are you in?"

"Just the one on main. Why you wanna do something tomorrow?"

"Yeah you guys wanna get some breakfast?"

"That sounds nice." I said. "Steve is that fine?"

"Of course."

I smiled softly. His leg was bobbing. I set my hand on his thigh, giving it a little rub. The lights dimmed in the auditorium, and the curtains came up.

I saw my little boy standing in the front row, singing jingle bells. He saw me, lighting up. I smiled.

"Did he know that we were coming?" I whispered to Colton.

"Yes." He said. I nodded, smiling. I watched Sarah squeeze Coles hand, making him sit back more. He pulled his hand away.

What was going on?

Steve had a little smile on his face as he watched. He looked so happy. Proud. I glanced at Colton, who looked rather nervous.

This was weird. I didn't know why, but it felt really weird.
Maybe it was because I had both of the boys that I've had serious relationships on both sides of me. Who knows.

But my baby boy was growing up right in front of my eyes as him and his class sang a very out of tune rendition of all the Christmas songs you could think of. And that's all that mattered in this moment.

———

"Mommy!" Ashton said as he ran out of the classroom. I picked him up, hugging him.

"Oh my gosh buddy you did so good." I said. He giggled and looked at me.

"And Prince Charming!" He said. He moved into Steve's arms. I smirked. Sarah kept giving me dirty looks.

Colton smiled as Lola walked over to her mom. I smiled too.

"Mommy why is Ashton's mommy that you don't like here?" Lola asked. My smile faded. Colton gave me a sorry look.

"Lola." Colton scolded. Ashton looked at me.

"Be nice to my mommy!" He yelled.

"Woah. Don't yell." I said. "It's okay sweetie."

"Ashton! You do not yell at your sister!" Sarah said.