THIRTY-ONE

"Gramma!"

"Hey baby." My mom said as she hugged Ashton. Steve came in with me. I gave him a little smile.

"And Steve. It's so good to finally meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too." He said. My mom pulled him into a hug.

"And nothing for me mom?" I asked. She rolled her eyes and hugged me.

"You are so handsome." She said to my boyfriend. I smiled.

"Isn't he? But goodness your husband is right there with his grandson."

"Hi darling." My dad said. I came over and kissed his cheek before hugging him. Ashton ran around the room trying to find their poor old cat.

Steve came in more, taking off his shoes. I smiled as he shook my fathers hand.

Ashton came over, holding the cat. He let out a low meow, but hugged up to him.

"I found him!" He said. I smiled and pet the poor cats head. They got that thing when I was in high school.

"Be nice to him. He's old." I said. He nodded and sat down on the couch, petting his head.

"I've made food and I have coffee. Come visit." My mom said.

I walked in. I kissed Ashton's head before going to get some coffee. I got Steve some too.

We all sat down in the living room. Ashton got into Steve's lap as he sat down next to me. I knew that little stinker was being smart and knew that Steve had to make a good impression.

Steve smirked as Ashton laid back on him. I smiled.

"So I take it you like kids." My dad said.

"Yeah. Ashton's great though so I have very high expectations now."

"Mmm. I have a feeling my daughter just wanted us to meet you so that she can have another kid."

"Mom." I groaned.

"What? Please honey." She said. I rolled my eyes. Steve smiled.

"Well in all honesty Mrs. Lingsley, I wanna make sure that I have a connection with you two before I propose to your daughter."

Ashton gasped. "Mommy! You wanna get married? Yes yes yes!"

I laughed. "Maybe someday."

"Well Steve, you already seem to be good with our daughter and grandson. So I'm good with you." My dad said. I gawked.

"You hated Colton right away. What happened with this?"

"Well I can already tell that this one is nice."

"Oh boy." I said. Steve smirked at me. What a charmer.

He was really good with people. He knew how to smile just right. Not overpowering, but just enough to swoon anyone.

"So Steve. Tell us about yourself." My dad said.

"I was born and raised in Brooklyn. Went to school to be a doctor and have been working at the same place ever since I got out of college. I was married once. Now I've been dating your daughter for a while. And I really like her. She's wonderful and I know you both have been a part of that."

"You're a sweetheart. Im just happy to see my daughter happy. I know that she calls me very excited whenever she talks about you."

"I do the same with my mom. Trust me, I really like her."

I smiled and blushed. Steve was the one. I knew it.

———

"Okay. I love you. Have a good sleep." I said to Ashton. He nodded and rested back in the twin bed.

"Night mommy and Steve. I love you guys." He said. Steve beamed. I smiled.

"Love you. Night night."

I shut off the lights before sighing in the hallway. "Okay. We are going to my childhood bedroom. You can't laugh." I whispered. I hadn't let him see it yet today.

"Why? It's gonna be good."

"Just don't make fun of me. Promise?"

"Yeah. Promise."

"Also I only got a full bed through high school so it isn't like your extra large king sized-"

"We will be fine. You literally lay right on me no matter the size of the bed."

I smiled, opening the door. We walked in together. He gave me a little smirk.

Okay so the pictures up were a little embarrassing. I had braces and a bad style in high school.

He went over to look at some of the pictures. I went to take off my makeup in the bathroom.

"You were adorable. How did you not date much in highschool you were just the cutest thing."

"I was dorky. That's why." I said. I took off my shirt and put a long sleeve on from my suitcase. I got into some pajama shorts before getting into bed.

Steve smiled. He started to get ready for bed. I felt weird being in my childhood room with him. I mean Colton's been in here.

I also thought about the fact that my dad liked Steve right away. I had fight upon fight with him to try to get him to just like him.

But I didn't have to do that with Steve.

He got into bed with me, immediately pulling me in. I turned on the tv. My parents had put a new tv in here in case guests came.

I felt him relax as soon as I kissed his cheek. I rested my head back, getting comfortable.

I wanted to move in with him. I wanted him to be my life. Again, I was just scared if I was moving too quickly.

I closed my eyes, feeling so comfortable in his warmth. Steve laid me down, kissing my forehead. I sighed.

He turned the tv off, laying down on his stomach. I opened my eyes to see him getting comfortable. He put his arm around me. I smiled.

I got closer to him. He moved his head onto my shoulder. That's all he wanted.

I played with his hair while he started to fall asleep. I could spend the rest of my life just doing this. I loved him so much.

It didn't matter. It didn't matter if I felt like it was too early. It was us. I cared about us.

I loved us.