Chapter 35

Y/N's POV
The week after that was basically the same, just with the addition awkward work talk. She glanced often and I couldn't help but sometimes glance back. Daniel felt awkward, I felt quite bad for him to be honest- and I continued my work solo. I continued to look into whatever was asked of me and I went out for the usual crimes, aka Teenagers making big mistakes.

It was weirdly... normal?

I'm not sure if that's the right way for me to describe it.

Before JiU, my main focus was revenge and work. After, the same goals, with the addition of... Love? Romance? Trauma, already more near-death experiences than any time before, and ghosts of the past coming back to haunt me.

Now, only a week after we split (if I can even call it that considering we were never actually girlfriends), everything seems to have returned to normal. Revenge and hard work were my main goals, and there was nothing stopping me from sticking to it.

But there was one difference- feelings. I hate them sometimes. I've doubted my decision every other hour of everyday this week. But I've ignored it. Remembering why I stopped it in the first place.

My sisters weren't aware of the situation. I hadn't spoken to them much. I've been avoiding it. It's hard to tell them when they know, just by looking at you or just by seeing the way you talk or message- the deeper feelings, and doubts swirling around your mind.

And Yoohyeon? I have no idea what's going on with her. We haven't spoken since our exchange of traumatic experiences and the breakfast that followed. I don't know if she's told Gahyeon anything. I don't know if she found anything useful in that photo.

It's not like I've tried to nag for information. I know how it is gathering evidence and stuff, as well as how long the process usually takes.

My knuckles are fine, just marks remain- my wrist on the other hand, is now in a cast. I didn't know a human being could have strength like that, especially when it was just with his hand, but maybe, it's not as bad as it seems.

God only knows. But either way it certainly didn't stop the weird gazes, not only from JiU, but the entire department from following me around every time I entered or exited the building.

Chief was a bit more stressed than usual. I couldn't tell you why, I haven't been told anything and I'm not used to this behaviour. What I do know though, is that some of it will definitely be a result of the trio, that was Daniel, JiU and I, splitting up.

My thoughts and assumptions were soon interrupted by Captain Lee's voice calling my name multiple times.

"Sargent Lee?? Hello~ Y/N? LEE Y/N!!"

"Yes sir?!" I said quite loudly as I came back to earth, silencing the other members of the team out of concern. "Sorry, get back to work" I bowed

"Come with me." He said and lead to the office, I nodded silently before following the slightly older man.

"Yes?" I asked as soon as the office door was closed

"I know this could be problematic..." He started, causing my brain to overthink all the possible topics of the conversation

'please not JiU' I repeated multiple times in my head

"I want you to continue your research on Kim." He said

I knew it. I internally muttered all my words of objection.

"Why? What now?" I said

"Because you spat your dummy out during the incident involving Kai. We haven't gotten anywhere with the internal investigation." He admitted shamefully "only you can get this information. You have the research skills and you have the past with the girl- a past that became the reason you both made up that pathetic excuse to no longer be in a team." He said