Chapter 39

Y/N's POV
As soon as I left Jisoo's place I rushed back to my car, bowing as a quick goodbye before leaving.

Did I have plan? Did I hell. It was pretty late and for all I know, I could either be too late, too early or, if I'm lucky, just on time.

I drove to chief's place quickly. I had no idea what to expect. Just praying there weren't already sirens by time I got there.

All my research- it was suddenly so obvious why she was working at my department, why she was working so close to me.

I was in scruffs. It was late and all I was wearing was a hoodie and some cargo pants. If there was sirens, my bad choice of clothing will probably promote the assumption that I'm the cause.

But I had no choice. I couldn't just change. Then I'd definitely be too late.

And before I could even finish thinking of the possible consequences, I was there.

Quiet greeted me. Silence. Almost eerie.

But still no sirens. This is either a blessing or a curse.

I was only a minute away from finding out. I ran up the stairs leading to his apartment.

The door was cracked open.

Shit.

All the bad thoughts filled my head. Everything that could've gone wrong.

But still, I ventured into the mostly silent apartment, the only sound being the door creaking slightly in the breeze.

I was right.

But I wasn't late.

A black clothed hooded figure towering over chief. Who, though still conscious, seemed frozen in place.

The hooded figure had yet to notice me, but chief was quick to acknowledge my presence.

"Are you here to kill me off too?" He asked, partially sarcastic, somewhat literal concern, mostly genuine.

Idiot. Absolute idiot.

That was all I could think as the hooded figure snapped their head in my direction. They stood up, knife in one of their hands, a tight grip on the handle, shaky arms. In the other hand was an A4 envelope. They looked away from me, and back at him, they were probably too angry to think it through, or maybe they were only willing to hurt me or pay me any mind if I got in their way.

So like the genius I am- I did. I stood between the figure and the chief. Their grip just tightened. Her grip just tightened.

"Move." They demand. I stood strong, shaking my head, unable to form the right words to explain myself to her, but still making my plan clear.

"For a police chief you are so fucking stupid." I spat at the man. Keeping my gaze on the figure.

"This doesn't concern you, just move. Please." She practically begged

"Just move." He demanded. I shook my head again.

"Stop." Was all I could say "stop telling me to move, stop insisting on fighting and just stop." I said

She just glared.

"Do you know him?" Chief asks

"Use your eyes you idiot. That's no 'him'." I scoffed "I suggest you back off before you fuck your entire existence up." I said

"Go home, you're not a cop anymore. This is none of your business." Her arms begin to shake again, she needs to hurt me, or I won't move, she knows it, but she can't. She can't and she won't.