Chapter 40

Minji's POV
I lied, I had nowhere to be, I just couldn't be there. She just draws me in no matter what she does. Just talking and I had to hold myself back from dragging her into a hug.

Why does she have to be so forgiving? So accepting?

I'd think I'd much rather she hated me. But the more she is friendly with me, the more I don't want to be apart.

What is this?

I never felt this way with Jisoo.

Not with anyone.

Now I'm trapped.

For fucks sake.

RIIING*
A loud piercing noise came from my phone, interrupting my thoughts, making me lose my balance.

"Where are you?" The person asked as soon as I clicked the answer button.

"I'm at a park." I replied

"Get out of that park, come here, something bad has happened." The person said

"Daniel. What are you talking about?" I asked

"Chief- uh- just come here, they'll explain it to you better than I can, i haven't even had time to process anything with all the chaos." He said "shit, someone is calling for me. I'm leaving you now." He said and ended the call

"Daniel? Danny? What the fuck?!" I practically shouted at the phone, I didn't know whether I should go or not.

What if it's a trap?

But what if it's not??

I was conflicted, do I help and risk my cover? Or do I steer clear also risking suspicion?

Fuck it. I ran to get my car from the few streets away from chiefs place and drove to the station, probably would've been better prepared for what greeted me if I hadn't gone the opposite way to chiefs house.

But I didn't. Instead I was greeted by a scene of chaos, just how Daniel described it. Anger, sadness, hurt and betrayal filled the station.

As I walked I got some hurt looks, like they were already giving me their pity before I even knew what was going on.

I entered the office. The office is where I finally got my answer.

Chiefs superior, who I remember from when he was yelling at Eunhyuk about the failed raid and another man with the same badge. Both men wore back suits, black shirts and black ties.

Had I not seen them before, or their badges before, I would've assumed they were gangsters themselves.

Daniel welcomed me and guided me down to my seat. As soon as I sat down the two men began their speech.

"Chief Eunhyuk. Captain Lee HyukJae... as of today December 17th 2023, is unable to return to work ever again. He was attacked on this night. After just over 40 minutes, they have concluded that his chances of survival are very low. He is currently in emergency surgery and if he is to survive, may remain in a coma. Whether he will wake up is not known, but the expectations are not in his favour." They announced, I snapped my neck in Daniels direction he just gave me a sad nod and looked down at the ground.

"Do we know why?" I asked

"Nope, not yet. A proper investigation will be starting tomorrow, right now they're giving us time to come to terms with it" he said

"Was anything missing in the initial investigation? When he was first found?" I asked

"Nothing. Just an open bag of papers and files" he replied