5

^^Zaro

I think I've been staring at these reports for too long if the letters appear to be floating off the page. I placed the papers down and leaned my head back. This has been so frustrating. I haven't made any new leads. I'm stuck. I've reached out to Matt and Jade to give me a boost, but they're equally just as stuck.

I fiddled with the cross around my neck. I looked down at it and properly observed it. A thought then occurred to me as I stared at it. I quickly tied my hair back before rapidly typing away on the computer.

I peered at the screen while scrolling through pictures of cross pendants. I stopped when I encountered a picture that resembled the pendant I had. I unclasped the necklace and held it next to the image. I arched a brow before clicking on it. A Spanish cross? Could this person be Spanish or it's just coincidental that they like this design?

This was a long shot, but I need to explore all options. Lara, please forgive me. I silently prayed that my wife would miraculously get blackout drunk and have blind spots in her memory.

After confirming that Brandon had the evening off and could stay with mom, I booked my ticket. I packed a small bag since I didn't plan to stay long. A day at most. As I was packing, I sensed someone behind me. I turned to find mom leaning against the doorframe.

"Mom." I stood. "What's up?"

"I should be asking you that. You're leaving?"

"For a brief trip. Just for a day. I plan to take the first flight out, conduct business, and then be on the next flight back."

"You don't need to rush, sweetie."

"It's alright. If I could do it from here, I would. Unfortunately, I've got to travel." I spoke.

"I understand." She nodded. "Just please be careful with whatever you're doing." She sighed. "You don't need to get all the answers." She cautiously spoke to get a gauge on my reaction.

"We deserve closure."

"His passing is-"

"I won't debate it with you, mom." I rubbed her arm. "I'll be careful. I promise." I hugged her.

"Does Lara know?" I stayed quiet. "Hmm... and you're certain I shouldn't be worried?"

"No harm will come to me. That I can assure you. Just a minor annoyance and even bigger irritant for Lara." I chuckled. "Will you be fine?" I seriously spoke.

"You kids worry about me too much."

"Because we love you." I gently smiled. "So?"

"Yes, I'll be fine. Be safe." She kissed my cheek.

I grabbed my bag and hopped in the pickup truck. It took nearly an hour to get to the airport since my parents lived in the remote part of Montana. And yah, that's saying something since all of Montana is like remote. After what felt like forever, I finally arrived.

Security wasn't long and soon after I was handing my ticket to the agent. I got my seat and definitely couldn't wait to endure the 7hr flight to New York. This is the time I wished I loved wine as much as Lara, so I could get blackout drunk and pass out for the entire flight. A sleeping pill later and I landed in the big apple. Now, off to Brooklyn!

I used the train to get to the mechanic shop and took a deep breath before entering. It didn't take long for him to notice me.

"Hey! It's the BJ Queen!"

"Knock it off, Zaro." I rolled his eyes. "We need to talk."

"Wanna fuck?" He wiggled his brows.

"Not in the slightest. Did you forget I have a wife?" I placed my bag down.