9

Third Person POV

Brandon released a long yawn while exiting his police cruiser. He grabbed the bag of food before shutting the door. One more yawn and he made his way into the station. Brandon removed his hat as he approached the front desk.

"Barb, you're still here?" He chuckled at the lady.

"Yep. I'm working an extra shift to get some money for my little baby's 8th birthday."

"Nah, way. Michael is almost 8?!" He leaned against the desk. "That's wild!"

"I know." She gave him a proud look. "He's growing way too fast."

"Tell him to slow down." Brandon chuckled. "You told me he started basketball. Show me a pic."

Barbara was more than happy to show her son in his brand new uniform. Brandon took the phone and smiled even wider. Brandon zoomed in and commented on the uniform pattern. Barbara then showed videos of Michael shooting the ball.

"And I know your kids are getting old too." Barbra put her phone away.

"Jeez, those kids are giving me a headache." Brandon exaggeratedly spoke causing Barbara to laugh. "Miles decided to self-elect himself as the class clown. He gets in so much trouble and I have to bail him out of detention all the time!"

"That's hysterical." Barbara laughed. "At least Jamie isn't giving you a hard time."

"As if!" Brandon waved his arms. "She's a dealer!" His eyes popped. "She's selling energy drinks and rated M video games and other shit!" Barbara was practically on the floor now. "Can you believe that the kids of the police officer are the ones causing the most issues at school?!"

"I've always loved those two. They're always up to a bit of mischief."

"Ya, they get that from my sister... not Hannah. Amelia has influenced those kids more than she lets on. She was the- No! She IS the prankster in the family. I don't trust her."

"I'm assuming you revoked her privileges of watching your kids-"

"YES!"

The two caught up a little longer until Brandon had to actually clock in for his shift. Before he walked away, he offered Barbara some of the food his wife packed for him. Barbara wasn't about to turn down Kelly's stir fry. Brandon grinned and bid her goodbye while walking to his desk. He nodded at the other officer who he relieved of his duty.

Brandon sat down and began working on a few files. It wasn't bad since it gave him something to do during the night shift. He was about an hour in when his phone rang. He arched a brow since it was a FaceTime call from his wife. She normally would call him at work over FaceTime, so he thought it was weird.

"Hello?"

"Dad!" Jamie and Miles grinned.

"Hey!" He laughed. "Shouldn't you both be sleeping? It's after midnight, kiddos."

"You left before we came back and didn't tell us Goodnight." Jamie pouted.

"Ahh, I'm sorry. Ya, I had to go to grandma's and you both were still at your friend's house. Sorry, guys."

"Dad!" Miles yelled.

"Yes?!" Brandon matched his enthusiasm.

"I've got a joke for you!"

"Let's hear it." Brandon steeled himself.

"What's red..." Miles snorted as he began laughing at the joke. He took a deep breath to compose himself. "What's red and smells like blue paint?" He struggled to control his giggles.