29

^^Lena

A few days later...

I jolted when Alec suddenly flipped his desk. He bolted up and ran a frantic hand through his hair. He then placed both hands in his hair and he desperately tried to smoothe it back in place, but it just kept getting messier. He then paced back and forth while his hands slowly pulled at his hair.

I found the courage to look up and met Lena's furious eyes. I watched as he eyes darkened and her demon took over. Lena raced to me, but Alec intercepted and held his mother back.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE'S DEAD?!" Lena screamed at me. "ANSWER ME!" I flinched as she punched near my head.

Alec had a firm hand around his mother's waist as she thrashed around. Lena elbowed and clawed at him in an effort for him to release her. She snarled at me and began spewing hateful words.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" It felt like she struck me with a dagger because it was the truth. "SHE'S DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!"

"Where's the body?" Hailey's voice trembled.

"We can't retrieve the body." Zayn awkwardly spoke.

"WHY NOT?!" Lena demanded "BRING ME MY DAUGHTER! I DESERVE TO SEE HER! AND HOLD HER!"

"No body? Could she still be alive then?" Hailey hoped.

"No." Matt answered making Hailey weep. "Mia described the breaking of the mate bond. She can't feel Lara anymore. Lara's life dissolved which is attributed to when the mate dies. She's gone." He calmly spoke. "I'm sorry."

"SORRY DOESN'T BRING HER BACK!" Lena was hysterical. "What do you plan to do when the twins wake?" She sneered at me. "Tell them that you're the cause for their mother's demise. That this all began because of a noble cause you had that ended in my daughter's death?!"

"Lena-"

"Quiet, dog." She snapped at Matt. "Why weren't we alerted the moment this happened?! The moment she was taken! We could've helped! You hid this from us! Why?!"

"It was a strategic-"

"Matthew." Lena grumbled. "Who gave you the authority to withhold?!"

I felt eyes on me, so I glanced at Hailey. She seemed incredibly nervous, but took a deep breath. She was about to speak, but Matt spoke first.

"I did." He took the blame, shocking us. "It was my mission and I made the decision-"

"BASTARD!" Lena roared.

"We messed up." Matt spoke. "I miscalculated-"

"Enough, mutt." Lena snapped before facing me. "Amelia Ricci, look at me." She ordered, so I reluctantly faced her. "Hear me when I say this." Lena's shoulders rapidly rose and fell from her erratic breathing. "You are no longer apart of this family. You are no longer a Sangpure. You are no longer welcome in my presence. You're forbidden from the Chateau in France. Do not come to Cobalt Enterprise in Maryland. The wolves are no longer allies of vampires. You must all fend for yourselves. This is the last time we shall speak. You and your species are dead to me." Lena then left.

Alec spared me a look before leaving as well. Matt mentioned to Hailey about my desire to host a funeral, but Hailey sadly told us that vampires don't do funerals. She then observed my somber state and promised to attend. Though, she wasn't sure if Alec or Lena would attend. Jade was about to say something, but a staffer entered.

"These were addressed to you." He handed me a bouquet of carnations.

We all furrowed our brows as I picked up the card. I silently read it and felt my features harden.